Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Massey Ferguson 600c

remington2225 · 2024-01-28 14:31

Just bought one of these dozers at an auction. Anyone own one or have any experience with one? Would like good and bad about them. Don’t see a whole lot on the internet about them. I think I got it at a good price but never know. Thanks Charlie

Replies11
  1. #1Dave Neubert2024-01-28 15:21

    Parts are non existent for them so when it breaks down you are done

  2. #2Welder Dave2024-01-28 21:34

    It's a Hanomag machine, (made in Germany I believe) and I think became a Terex in it's final itereration. I saw a loader version years ago in a JD shop. It was getting a complete undercarriage change over to something more common. It looked like an expensive job but wasn't the most interesting thing I noticed. Someone swapped in a Mack engine out of truck! I had to do a double take. Standard engine was a Hanomag D 962 K six cylinder rated at 144 net HP. Transmission is a full powershift **-Hanomag G.523 single stage, single phase torque converter. Ripper and a winch were optional. Operating weight with cab but no ripper is between 31,100lbs. and 35,050lbs. There were normal, long and LGP undercarriage versions and angle or straight blade options.

  3. #3remington22252024-01-29 04:36

    I bough it sight unseen for $6400. It was kind of by accident. I went and looked at it yesterday and it fired right up. I have no experience on a dozer so I didn’t know how to operate it. The blade worked but I didn’t know how to put it in gear. A local farmer is going to bring it to my farm this weekend. I just have some small jobs I’d like to get done. If it last me 100 hrs I’d be tickled to death. Gauge had 8000 hrs on it.

  4. #4OzDozer2024-01-29 05:31

    For that kind of money, you've taken a high stakes gamble. At 8000 hrs, something is bound to give trouble within 100 hrs, so you'd better hope it's not major. These things are beyond obsolete, they're museum pieces, as with all equipment where the manufacturer disappeared 30 or 40 years ago, or who "discontinued" the line. Hanomag sold their construction division to Massey-Ferguson in 1974, then M-F sold Hanomag to the crooked IBH Group in 1980. IBH existed only on fraudulent financing and collapsed in 1984. Hanomag stumbled along under bankruptcy for several years and was saved by Komatsu injecting a huge amount of money into them in 1989. However, with the Komatsu ownership, Hanomag equipment lines were discontinued, in favour of Hanomag simply manufacturing Komatsu machines for the European market. The Hanomag dozer line was the first to be discontinued by Komatsu.

  5. #5Welder Dave2024-01-29 18:09

    It all depends on how well it was taken care of in those 8000 hours. Generally 8000 hours isn't considered high hours for a med. size dozer. Most diesel engines are good for 10,000 hours so if the machine wasn't too abused and everything works I'd think you'd get well over 100 hours out of it. One of the landfills near me was still using an MF600 or 700 dozer back in the mid 90's.

  6. #6remington22252024-01-29 19:13

    With scrap price being around $3000 if I get for even 20 hrs that only $160/hr of use roughly. I’d be tickled with that. The add at auction said runs good and strong powertrain. So we will see. Thanks everyone for the info. I’ll have a lot to learn. I’ve been trying to figure out how to shift from forward to reverse. There were 3 levers on the left. One said h,m,l which I guess are the 3 speeds, one for throttle and another that l believe is the safety or activation lever. Then 2 on the right which one is for blade and other one I assume is rear remotes. Anyone know what the forward reverse would be?

  7. #7Welder Dave2024-01-29 20:23

    There are 3 speeds forward and 3 speeds reverse. I think you're right about the levers. Left side is drive and throttle and likely a safety lockout like you suggested. Right side is blade and aux. hyd's. I don't know if you have a blade tilt but that could be what the 2nd lever is for. Not sure if there is a decelerator pedal on the floor. If there isn't, it's good to throttle down for a second or 2 when changing directions. Speed range is 2.2-5.8 MPH. Best to not use 3rd gear especially in reverse. It accelerates undercarriage wear. The standard version had 97" of track on ground and the long track and LGP versions had 109". I've seen ** manuals online. You may even be able to order them direct from Agco.

  8. #8remington22252024-01-29 20:38

    3 pedals on the floor. I know when I dropped the safety lever the middle pedal came up which I’m assuming is the brake pedal and the two side pedals are steering clutches. It does have a tilt blade which I think the lever on right closest to operator has up and down and tilt going left and right. I did order a manual off eBay so I should be good when it’s delivered. Thanks again.

  9. #9Welder Dave2024-01-29 20:56

    Middle pedal brakes both tracks and is likely the emergency brake. Left and right pedals are steering clutch and brake pedals. Not sure how the parking brake works. You might have to push it down hard and the safety lever locks it or there's something else that locks it.

  10. #10Rustyshacklford2024-01-30 06:43

    I’ve never ran a tractors like yours, but the large lever on the left w the h m l looks a lot like one on a fiat allis. On those moving the lever forward and back is forward, middle is neutral, and rear is reverse. When you move the saftey lever it should move the lever into neutral. Moving the lever left and right shifted the gears. Like I said I never ran one of those but this hopefully is a starting point.

  11. #11Welder Dave2024-01-30 16:35

    H M L might mean high, medium and low speed.