If you need a fresh engine for your D8 there's a D342 up for auction on Gov't Lic....located in Ohio http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=8123431&convertTo=USD
wow,rare,rare.If that was in my country I don't think I could avoid going to buy it!!!!glad it's in the USA as I shouldn't really be playing with things I don't need!!
Nicky, No bids at the moment - starting price $25. Auction closes 21st.......!! Surely that has to be worth a punt..? who knows you might be able to get it cheap and that would cover the freight to the UK.
I though those engines was supposed be scraped because of emissions
Auction doesn't open until Aug 19...I've seen a few of them sell, some new/rebuilt and some take-out engines. Don't remember what they went for. Quite a few 3306's have sold through GovLiq too. Don't have any use for it myself....Willl it fit an older D8H? Neighbor has an 8H in his shed that's been torn down for about 20 years and I know of another that has a stuck engine.
i see a delco remy tag, wouldn't that indicate it's probably a rebuild? Also, what is bolted to the back of the engine just above the flywheel? Looks like sooms sort of gearbox. ISZ
I think they only require scrapping if you buy a new replacement, at least that's the way it was when I last worked at a CAT dealer. Hole saw to the block rendering it non-rebuildable. The EPA stuff is ridiculous, we're still importing hundreds if not thousands of machines from overseas every year that are "Tier 0" or in plain English they were built before the EPA Tier 1 came into effect almost twenty years ago. Guess it never occured to the beurocrats that there would be such a brisk business in importing smokey old mechanical engine powered equipment. Eventually it will be a moot point as we run out of old machines to buy and the ones already here finally get too worn out to be worth maintaining. Sorry, rant mode off.....
I think the Delco tag is just a pic of the starter. The gearbox is an accessory drive gear housing.
CAT buys electrics from Delco, Leece-Neville, Denso, etc. If it were a rebuilt starter it would have a 0R or 10R part number, that's CAT's way of designating reman parts. Looks new to me, ready to bolt into your D8K.... wow, you don't see those every day.
Yair . . . icestarionzebra I believe that is a livedrive for a cable PCU . . . tctractors or nicky68a will put me straight if its not. (big grin) Cheers
This engine is a late D8K unit, worth about "10 large" on this rock, the bump on the back end is as already said a P.T.O. drive, the bump on the left side is for driving a top drive CCU etc, the plate on the right side is the mounting for the Hydraulic Pump, the other side of this point is for the transmission pump location, the engine looks in top nick, sadly I dont have $25 to have a pop at it? tctractors
I've tried to buy stuff on Gov Liq before. The price will skyrocket on the last day. It won't be anywhere near $25. It might bring $15K.
Finally went for $5,150.............. about "3 large" in Tony's vocabulary. Even shipping and import into the UK wouldn't have taken the total up to more than about £4,500 IMO.
Ten would have been a bargain I think, the buyer stole it!
That was some good deal, in the U.K. the spacer block would fetch a strong price with nothing in it, anyhow it blew me out on the starting bid, I hope it does good for someone keeping a K on the move. tctractors
Looking at the web site it seems as though almost everything is set at a $25 starting bid. Maybe it costs them a minimum of $25 to process a bid, who knows..? There are some D7 Track Link Groups and also complete track assemblies on there now, all starting at $25. http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=8181697&convertTo=USD
Ahhh the auction closes in 2 days. Bob
According to the information the auction opened today at midnight, leads me to believe this is a different unit?
Ahh 12 AM is noon around here. Bob
LOL! I never can keep that straight.... Point is, is it another engine of the same type? Or did it not meet some kind of reserve and they reopened the same auction?
Ahhh open means start bidding and closes at 5 PM 8/21/14 means all in ,all done. Bob
I'll bite, who's on first.
Ahhh it's now Hu's on first.And the motor is up to 12,500. Bob
I'm confused. If I click on the original link, the auction is still active and the engine is currently $12,500. The auction has over one day left for anyone willing to bid. Was there another that sold for $5150? Bluox, the auctions open at midnight - 12AM. Noon is 12 PM.
I guess nige has a hard time reading a auction notice,and the auction goes almost 2 more days.So noon 12 comes after 11 AM is 12 Pm? Bob
Just for grins I priced P/N 5R8866....still available (indirect replacement) for the bargain price of $77,791.80 US (hope I don't accidentally press the "Order" button)
That is correct, it changes to PM at exactly 12:00 noon and to AM at 12:00 midnight. I bet this engine makes it over $15,000 if it's already this high with this much time left. D6c10K, you can check with your local dealer and the parts dept can tell you at what price that the last one sold for. I bet it's the price you quoted and I bet that the US military is the customer that purchased the last one for that price. I can't really see a for profit enterprise giving that much for an engine when you can trade for a complete decent condition replacement machine for that much. Most of the time, indirect replacement means that it's no longer available.
I assumed that meant it was available only from aftermarket supplier, but I don't know their terminology.
Is it possible this spacer plate engine is an upgrade to a counterbore block engine? I am not familiar with these, so don't laugh at the question. I worked for the CAT dealer in Portland, we repowered a handful of D7E's I think they were for the National Guard, the engines were an upgraded 3306 kit to replace the original version. I am guessing this may be what "indirect replacement" might mean.
You replaced D339 engines with 3306 engines? Bob
Lantraxco, the spacer plate block is not a re-worked counter bore lump, they are totaly different blocks but with lots of the same innards. tctractors
My bad, D7F's, not E's. I think it was basically an upgrade from the D333T to the later G model direct injection 3306T, but I won't swear to it. It was fifteen years ago and I may have had a beer or three since then..... I do recall they were part of a huge contract, CAT supplied a long list of parts and some special build major components along with a factory new serial number plate. Down to bare frame, inspect, correct, and reassemble.
I was aware of that Tony, thanks. My question was if both counterbore and spacer plate engines were used in the 8K? Cheers, Lanway
Spacer plate change was about 77V 5000. Bob
Sorry for that Lantraxco, I am a bit thick its well known, anyhow Bluox had the correct answer, the first D8K's sported the counter-bore block with a vertical exhaust with a nasty pipe leading to it. tctractors
It's all good TC, you remind me of a friend of mine that sadly has moved to the big shop in the sky, when it came to things mechanical he always said I was smart, and I always responded he had no need to be smart, his hands already knew. In my youth, I could make anything run, but he could make anything run better, and longer. For some it comes natural, for me I should have been a wrecker as I can dismantle anything quite handily, reassembly however is another sadder story! :drinkup
I'll bet that motor goes north of 30K ,the last takeout I bought 5 years ago was 22K with new bearings .So you start counting 12 ,1 ,2 ,3.
Well if you guys miss that one the have another coming up. http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=8181695&convertTo=USD
Final price $28,000 + 10% buyer's premium
I'll wait for the next one, starts in a few days.... they got a bunch of C7's and some Deeres and such also... might have to dabble.
I have a d342 pc crate engine all new. Where is a good place to list it for sale?
Here's a eBay link of anyone might be interested http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271600730490
Ryan, that looks to be a very early model D342 with the nozzle ring turbo is there any history with it??? the 300 HP posted might be an issue its even fitted with a gear drive generator, I will look up the engines power ability but I would think it is around the 200-235 spot as it looks like an early block with the wide bearing crank. tctractors
Ryan,that motor would fit very nicely into an old early 1960's D8H.Wouldn't fancy dropping it into later model H and definatly not a K.The African buyer wouldn't be too bothered though.