The steering valves are leaking oil on my D3B. Do the valves have to be taken off the machine to instal new seals or can it be done on the machine? Is seals all I need or is there more to it than that? Thanks
You can replace them on the machine, but I always like to remove the whole valve and dissassemble it on the table. That way, you can give it a real good inspection.
I just talked to someone who told me it's best to take them off, replace the spools if they are worn(probably are) and also replace the rollers to make for easier steering.
I just rebuilt mine about a year ago, got the parts from Cat. I don't think you'll have a problem. If the roller doesn't have a flat spot on it you can reuse it.
Cat wanted $200 for each spool so I just replaced the o-rings and roller bearings and it works good, no leaks. The right bearing went out and wasn't pushing straight on the spool causing a leak. Not a tough job. Thanks for the info!