Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D3B Track tensioner

Landbutchr ยท 2020-06-07 17:20

Afternoon Gents , So I have been having problems maintaining track tension since a complete undercarriage replacement. The first problem that we had was with the yoke assembly being to to tight in the guide and it would stick when track was compressed .Normal wear has handled that problem for the most part, I think. Now The track just won't pump up sufficiently to become tight enough. No matter how much grease that I put in It doesn't pump up nor can I see it leaking out any where . What's up with that . It is definitely not bypassing the seal and I don't know where else it could be going.

Replies9
  1. #1AllDodge2020-06-07 18:45

    It has to go somewhere, how do you know its not passing the seal? What's your serial number?

  2. #2Landbutchr2020-06-07 19:58

    Thanks for answering Dodge. I have removed all of the surrounding sheet metal and cleaned up every thing around there so that I can see into all the nooks and crannies. My serial number is 27Y3204 > It is an odd coincidence that is also the engine size. I believe that I might have it figured out . I believe that the Idler is still binding in the guide rails and when I add grease it is just tightening the spring. Do you think that is a possibility? I am going down after dinner to bust the track give the Idler a good going over .

  3. #3AllDodge2020-06-07 21:17

    Mine is close enough to yours that we probably have the same machine. Don't see adding grease into the cylinder and it tightening the spring (moving the idler out) without leaking

  4. #4Bls repair2020-06-07 21:48

    Can you take a photo similar to this of your track problem?

  5. #5Welder Dave2020-06-07 22:41

    How hard is it to pump grease in? If something was binding it would fill with grease and get really hard to pump, the same as if the track was pumped too tight. Normally it doesn't take much effort to pump the tracks tighter. Could the plug to loosen the track be loose?

  6. #6Landbutchr2020-06-08 22:31

    Thanks for the reply BLS. I am not qualified to post a picture but I have children that are . When one of them comes in I will have them do it. I did however remove the Idler last night and I did have fair amount of trouble getting it out because of binding. I have a perfect view of the seal and it is definitely not leaking Next chance I get I am going to put grease to it again now that the idler is out and see if the yoke will push out far enough .

  7. #7Landbutchr2020-06-08 22:35

    Before I pulled the idler it took practically no effort to put grease to it . I put roughly half a tube in it and still can't see it coming out any where

  8. #8Welder Dave2020-06-09 00:52

    Could the track adjuster have been empty? If everything is tight it should get hard to pump when it's full and the track is getting tight. Then you back it off and pump back to the mark you made on the track frame. I've had grease guns that don't pump properly too so now all I use is a Lincoln grease gun.

  9. #9Landbutchr2020-06-09 21:45

    Thanks for the reply Welder Dave . Had an interesting turn of events today . I was tightening the tracks on my old D6D (4x3162) an low and behold the track would not pump up . I switched to a back up gun and voila, success. So I will try the backup gun on the D3B as soon as I can but I think I have solved my problem . Unfortunately the long way around the horn though.