Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D3C

TQM · 2024-04-28 10:01

Will a CAT D3 dozer push over and pile up pine trees up to 6-8” at breast? I have purchased land and it has about 40 acres of planted pine that I want removed.

Replies5
  1. #1davejor2024-04-29 13:05

    I am no expert and can only answer based on my experience. I have 40 acres in Oregon. That size cat wouldn't touch the doug fir trees on my property that size. However the soil here is very stable mixture of rocks, soil, and clay. Your conditions are likely different. The biggest issue is the weight of the machine. You won't get the traction needed. Assuming it would topple the tree it seems it would take some time to push them into a pile.

  2. #2Welder Dave2024-04-29 17:09

    Can you post some pics. of what you want to clear? 40 acres would be quite a bit for a D3.

  3. #3Drag racer2024-04-29 22:13

    What are you using the 40 acres for?

  4. #4davejor2024-04-29 22:17

    Growing timber on 32 acres currently 65 years old, thinning this year. 8 Acres of pasture that I cleared in the early 90's. Just realized you may have intended this question for the OP. I answered because it was a reply to my post...

  5. #5Drag racer2024-04-29 22:29

    Sometimes in my area they get someone to cut scrub timber fo pulp wood.If it is for pasture I like to cut at ground level, and you don't lose top soil, if you really want them out by roots a track loader works best.