Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D3c series 3 steering problem

jwest75801 ยท 2015-07-28 15:38

Ok I have a d3c series 3 7xlo my problem is i adjusted my right brake about twenty hours ago and I have already have lost the adjustment and the brake pedal bottoms out and trak will slip a little but not every time it holds the trak most the time. But I am more worried about why I have already lost the adj. I have to find the problem due to this machine is on the job and my livelihood. Any help please thanks. Also dum question but how do I add oil to the clutches?

Replies14
  1. #1jwest758012015-08-03 13:39

    I was told I have a leak somewhere but I am not seeing it somebody has to have some insight for me!

  2. #2jwest758012016-01-01 14:46

    Still needing some help on this problem I have not figured it out yet. There got to be somebody that has had an issue with this before. Thanks for any help

  3. #3kshansen2016-01-01 15:26

    Not sure of what the problem is but you say you adjusted right brake and then 20 hours later you have "lost" the adjustment. First question is what was the reason you adjusted it in the first place. Like, did it work one minute and then it was way out of adjustment five minutes latter? Or did that one slowly get bad over several months? Are you sure you adjusted this in the right place? Have you checked to see if something is broke or loose in the linkage? I would say I'm also wondering why one side has this problem and not the other, did someone run with a brake on? Who is telling you you have a leak? I'm assuming it is not leaking to the outside?

  4. #4jwest758012016-01-01 17:53

    M I am not sure why there saying this but it's what I was told Thanks for your help I am glad you responded and I hope I answered your questions

  5. #5jwest758012016-01-01 17:56

    One more thing I have notice that sometime when I turn to the right it does not feel like the brake is releasing all the way and kinda boogies it down alittle

  6. #6Cmark2016-01-01 19:25

    These machines are not complicated. The brakes work straight from the pedal with linkages and no booster and the clutches are hydraulically released by valves operated by the brake linkages. It sound as though your right clutch isn't releasing properly. The first thing I would check is the clutch valve actuators. If you lift up the floor (and maybe remove the batteries and seat base) you will see the left and right valves which are actuated by a cam running on a roller. If the cam is worn or the roller has a flat spot, the valve spool won't get full stroke and the clutch won't fully release. This will quickly wear out the brake band meaning frequent adjustments are necessary.

  7. #7Bob/Ont2016-01-02 10:34

    To check the oil level in the clutches there are level plugs 1/4"npt in the case wall by the final drive fill plugs and large fill plugs on the covers. As Mark said, check the control valves and repair if necessary, the rollers on the spools wear out, reducing travel and release pressure. Another problem with wet clutches is the rod length adjustment. If it's too long the bands are adjusted too tight and the drums get ruined. To adjust the rods, tighten the brake adjustment right up and back off 9 clicks(1 1/2 turns). Check for pedal travel, if any take out pin at brake lever, pull back rod while pushing on lever. Adjust rod as short as you can and still get pin in. Then adjust brake band to get pedal travel right. If brake adjustment gets loose soon,, the drum may be ruined. Later Bob

  8. #8jwest758012016-01-02 13:35

    Alright I went and looked at it again everything looks to be adjusted correctly in the linkage. I know this before I rebuilt the steering valve I had to Run it a while with the bearing out. I wonder if I could have gauled the the drum due to the steering valve not releasing all the way and which in return everytime I tighten the brake up and work it the gauled areas wear on the brakes. This is all I can come up with!! I know that since the last time I adjusted the brakes it went longer before having to adjust so maybe I am smoothing out the gauled spot just hope I have the pad and adjustment left to keep going or is this not a good idea?

  9. #9Bob/Ont2016-01-02 23:07

    The damage to the drum happens when the brake link rod was too long and to get the pedal travel right the band was adjusted too tight and dragged all the time, wearing out the lining and then the bare band wore the drum out. Later Bob

  10. #10Cmark2016-01-03 04:27

    Once you have the seat and batteries out, removing the clutch housing covers is easy. You can then inspect both the drum and the brake. While you have the covers off, connect up the clutch control valves, run the engine and work the valves. You will then be able to see if the clutches are releasing.

  11. #11jwest758012016-01-03 20:34

    Thanks guys you been great help I really appreciate it yall have a good one until next time

  12. #12jwest758012016-07-13 19:45

    Well since we last talked I have had to have my brakes replaced and went ahead and put new clutches in since we were there. But I am still losing adjustment on my right brake and my right track still stalls under load. Does anybody have any idea what to look for all pressures look good also. Thanks for any help

  13. #13jwest758012016-07-14 21:58

    Well just a update the shop called today they said the problem was the linkage and needed to be adjusted more they said the right side is not stalling anymore. There reall tell tell will be be if I still loose adj through out the day. Just figured I would share

  14. #14jwest758012016-09-19 23:42

    Well after wearing the brake out again we found the top pinion had more play in it than it should. Turns out my final is out and has to be rebuilt.