New to this forum and sure seems to be a fine bunch here to help people like me understand more about the small dozer world. I have been looking for a dozer to do work around my small farm of about 300 ac. I recently have came across a Case 850E, but don't know enough about dozers to properly evaluate them. The owner reports that he will replace the sprockets and service the machine. The sprocket on the right side of the dozer is very sharp and is obviously needing replaced, but the one on the left has not worn nearly as bad. What's up with that? There are several of the track pads/shoes that are pretty loose. Is the loose pads anything to be concerned about? Seems like a pretty easy fix with a cutting torch and new bolts, but when should the pads be replaced? The rest of the U/C seems fairly decedent and appears to have been replaced at one time. Can anyone talk about the pro and cons of this make and model and if 15K is two much $ for this type and size dozer. Does Case still sell parts when it breaks and what about aftermarket parts? I have heard that older Case is a pretty reliable dozer. What about the torque converter, do they still make machines with that type of setup? I,m thinking this machine does not have a turbo. Is this a plus or minus for the dozer of this size? The machine seems pretty tight as far as the engine and hydraulics with everything seeming to be in working order. This machine has 7800 hrs. showing and the owner thinks it is a 1994 model and has been on his farm since about 1998. So almost a one owner machine. Can anyone talk about the pro and cons of this make and model and if 15K is two much $ for this type and size dozer. Not sure about the price range for a dozer of this age and # of hours. Any advice is appreciated.
Surely someone in here has an opinion on my post.
First, welcome, second, I am no dozer expert but shopped for one the past two years and looked at many including several Case 850s. Case equipment dealers are still around, parts should not be a big concern but Cat is by far the easiest to get parts for. The price seems in the ballpark but really depends on the condition of the tracks and gear. Since you already identified a few areas of concern, that should give you a little bargaining power if you wanted to make a offer. It is hard to determine condition of anything without pictures, if you have some, some of our real experts on dozers might have a better opinion. There are several posts I found on Case 850s a while back, so you might also try a quick search. BTW- since I am no expert, I have a local dozer mechanic that I offer a meal and 50 bucks to go with me if I am serious about making a offer. If you have someone available, might give it a go. I had a opportunity once to get a 850 dozer and loader pair for what I thought was a good price for both, but he told me some of the 850 Case dozers had transmission problems and unless the owner could show it was fixed he recommended passing.
Opinions; Not familiar with case dozers. Ran one in the 80's a couple weeks, recall the floor got hot on the feet. If it doesn't have any ailments other than the tracks the price doesn't seem out of whack. It's not all about whats cheapest, some dozers could be given to you and for the cost to fix them up they're still a bad deal. Loose pads are difficult to hold once they're loose. Try rebolting the pads and see if you can hold them. If the grousers (the lugs that stick up) are wore down a lot replacement time is coming. I would guess the rails, or track chains, are wore out. A wild guess is that a sprocket will get you by 1k hours, then will probably need a complete track group, and probably rollers and idlers. Torque convertors are still standard equipment on most dozers, although John deere runs mostly hydrostats. If the machine came out without a turbocharger it should be fine without one now.
Thanks for your input guys. I wish I had taken pics and I would have posted them. However, you are right Kent most of the time you get what you pay for. After talking with the owner again he indicated that I could try it out for a week and if I didn't like it he would take it back. So that would give me a chance to get someone with more knowledge to look at it. That meal and $50 could be a very good investment. CatToy could you be more specific about the 850 transmission problems. Was it certain models or all 850's of a certain series and what it took to correct the problem.
I think it was the 850e clutch problems, I am sure someone will have more knowledge on the issue than I do. I would think with the hours it would have failed if it was going to do so.
HeavyEquipmentForums Just found this post.
I appreciate your feedback. Several of these guys on this site have a wealth of knowledge and experience. Maybe someone will chime in.
The owner is going to let you use it a week and take it back if you don't like it. That says a lot about the shape it is in. He is very confident that it will meet your approval. I would take him up on that part of the deal.
Agree with you Tinkerer, I'm thinking I'll give it a try. It makes for a little less of a gamble. I'll post some pics when I get it on my place.
Although I ended up buying a JD dozer, I've spent the better part of a year looking at every machine I could find in my immediate area, as well as countless hours on the internet doing research on dozers. I had decided that either a Cat D5C, John Deere 650G, or a Case 850E or G model would fit the bill for me. I don't think there is anything all at wrong with a Case machine for farm/ranch work. They have great engines, and parts seem to easy to get if you have a decent dealer. $15K is a great price and at worst case you spend 6K to replace the entire undercarriage. Good luck with whatever you decide.