Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D3g RH final drive problem

Jakes dozer · 2021-08-01 19:17

Serial cfc00589 d3g xl My d3g has recently had an issue with one of the segments coming off and hanging up the Rh track. Once I got that issue resolved, it has now stopped tracking properly. It will track a foot forward and the same in reverse. I busted the chains apart and lifted the machine to clear the segments from the chain, and it is still doing it. Any ideas on what could be going on? I am guessing all of the abrupt stops from the segment previously hanging up the drive motor probably damaged an internal gear. Any tips are thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Replies20
  1. #1Nige2021-08-02 16:35

    Have you at least had a look at the magnetic plug for the final drive.? If something is worn/broken there is a good chance it might be stuck to that plug. At least it will give you some idea of what you might be up against. If the plug is on the rotating part of the final drive and you can get it somewhere near the top you won't lose much oil when you remove it. If it is on the inside of the case you have no other alternative than to drain the oil.

  2. #2Welder Dave2021-08-02 17:08

    Were the segments replaced and not tightened enough or somehow loosened on their own?

  3. #3Jakes dozer2021-08-02 17:18

    Not exactly sure why they were backing off. But after retapping the holes with a 9/16 tap and some loctite they seem to be staying in place.

  4. #4Master Link2021-08-02 20:22

    I thought the D3 segment used a bolt and nut set up? Also I think they are 1/2 threads. The System One segments may be different but I'm at home now and don't have any books here.

  5. #5Jakes dozer2021-08-02 20:35

    They were 1/2” threaded in the hub. The holes were wallowed out from the segment walking off. I re tapped them with a 9/16 since that was the next size up. The segment issue has been resolved. Now I am having the problem of the machine tracking a foot and the right track stopping. Left track keeps right on tracking. I am checking the oil and speed sensor as nige suggested tomorrow.

  6. #6Master Link2021-08-02 21:14

    If it only goes a foot forward and reverse then there is a possibility you may have broken a gear. You have three small planetary gears on the outside part of the final drive. If one of those broke it would probably limit travel as there isn't much room in there for the pieces to fall out of the way. If you don't have a parts book to look at the exploded view you can Google D3G final drive find a drawing of it.

  7. #7Jakes dozer2021-08-02 21:42

    I will keep you posted on my findings

  8. #8Nige2021-08-03 00:26

    Or post a Serial Number and the Parts Manual pages can be made available.

  9. #9Jakes dozer2021-08-03 07:33

    Cfc589 is the serial

  10. #10Nige2021-08-03 10:42

    Here's what the Final drive looks like.

  11. #11Jakes dozer2021-08-03 10:45

    I checked the oil in the final, and saw no metal in it at all.

  12. #12Nige2021-08-04 11:27

    If that's the case it is probable one of the gears in the planetary has lost a tooth and you are going to be disassembling it to find out which one and what other damage it might have done. TBH I don't think your loose sprocket segment issue has anything to do with this problem.

  13. #13Jakes dozer2021-08-04 11:53

    We will be tearing into it tomorrow. Cat seems to believe it is the hydraulic drive motor. I pulled the sun gear and the hub spins freely. I put it in gear and saw no rotation in the inner splines.

  14. #14Nige2021-08-04 12:03

    It could well be. Attached the motor removal procedure in case you don't have it.

  15. #15Jakes dozer2021-08-15 14:33

    As it turns out, it was the bull gear, pinion shaft, and a couple of bearings in the final. Thank you for all the help! I am curious as to why this machine fairly consistently blows the hose between the two main pumps. I do not see any external wear on the hose when we replace it. It typically costs us 3 buckets of oil so I would love to get it figured out. It is only about 8 inches long but brings the whole operation to an abrupt halt.

  16. #16Nige2021-08-15 21:15

    Got any photos.? Regarding the hose, are you using something from the local hose builder or a Cat hose.?

  17. #17Jakes dozer2021-08-15 21:43

    I typically use a local shop that makes all of my hoses and I never have a problem with them. I will see about getting some pictures in the morning.

  18. #18Nige2021-08-15 22:26

    Is it the one in the illustration.? The one that's supposed to be a steel tube. That could explain a lot. Part Number for the tube is 179-6057. It sells for around $75.

  19. #19Jakes dozer2021-08-15 22:35

    I will see about a picture in the morning. It wraps under the pump. The high end is on the right hand side then goes up under the bottom. If it is supposed to be steel that would explain a lot.

  20. #20Jakes dozer2021-08-15 22:37

    I do not know the proper name for the pump, but it is where the transmission would be.