Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D3K2 red exclamation point flashed

JJM1 · 2023-07-11 17:22

I was hoping someone might be able to help me with a code. I have a 2012 D3K2 (Serial Number AKFF00186) with about 1860 hours. This afternoon the red flashing exclamation point came on for about 3 seconds and then went out. I checked the code and it came up with 2687-08. Was curious if anyone knows what this might mean. I know that the flashing red exclamation point can be the serious one but, it was only for a brief moment and then went out. Dozer was and is running fine. Thanks for any help.

Replies9
  1. #1ahart2023-07-11 20:14

    2687-8​ Right Drive Motor Speed Sensor #1: Abnormal Frequency, Pulse Width, or Period​ It is quite common on these machines for the speed sensor to have oil bleed through into the connector. If you remove the rear panel right above the hitch, you will be able to see the drive motors. I believe the right side has the speed sensor on the front of the motor where it is not directly visible but can easily be unplugged and checked for oil intrusion. If this is the case, there are new speed sensors available that do require some other parts along With the sensors. If it gets to that point, it would be good to calibrate the drive motors but it isn’t completely necessary as long as it functions properly after sensor is installed. It could already have new sensors installed, if the connector plugs directly into the sensor it is the old style, if there is a pigtail that the harness plugs into, it’s the new style.

  2. #2JJM12023-07-11 20:28

    Thank you very much!

  3. #3Nige2023-07-12 07:32

    The new sensors were used from machine S/N KFF00446-Up, so this machine will have the former Part Number unless the sensors were replaced already. @ahart - what do you think about updating both speed sensors if one is found to have oil intrusion or otherwise defective.? In your experience will the machine software work happily with a mix of speed sensor Part Numbers.?

  4. #4JJM12023-07-12 08:24

    @Nige - Thanks for weighing in too. Good question and I am also interested in the answer. Would either of you know if I can access both sensors through the rear panel or do I need to get at them by doing something like dropping the belly pan. Dozers are new to me and I just recently purchased this one. I plan to look at it later today. One other question, since the light only blinked once, could this be a fluke and would you wait to see if it happens again or do I need to spend some time working on it. Thanks for your thoughts.

  5. #5JJM12023-07-12 08:30

    @Nige - I should probably drop the belly pan anyhow to clean the machine. Anything special I need to watch out for doing that? Thanks again.

  6. #6Nige2023-07-12 08:38

    Dropping belly guards can be a useful exercise even if all you do is clean. It gives an opportunity to inspect for leaks, check condition of all the hardware for loose bolts, check hoses, etc. Here is the procedure. Be CAREFUL, the guards can weigh a lot more than the stated weight if they are full of cr@p.

  7. #7JJM12023-07-12 08:59

    Thank you so much! This is a tremendous help.

  8. #8ahart2023-07-12 11:30

    I would definitely change both while I’m there and update the software if it’s available though I haven’t seen where not doing either has caused issues but it is good practice. Also, clean the hex socket head bolts out good with a pick and make sure the socket goes in all the way, don’t want to round one of these bolts out and not be able to get them loose. I typically order 2 new bolts for each sensor when I change them just because I figure I’ll be the next guy that has to take them out.

  9. #9JJM12023-07-13 06:44

    Thank you!