Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gasket Problems D3C III LGP

Homewood35 · 2023-07-11 18:32

Ok guys, more parts problems. I have a 94 D3C LGP III 9CL00128 that I’m replacing the water pump on. I have the correct water pump and gasket that goes between the backing plate. I need the gasket that goes between the backing plate and the block. My local Cat dealer gave me a 335-9125 and it doesn’t fit. He’s looking under a 7XL and a couple more numbers but can’t find the right one. See the attached photos

Replies34
  1. #1joe--h2023-07-11 18:41

    Were it mine RTV & done by now. Joe H

  2. #2Homewood352023-07-11 18:53

    Last resort, yes. It’s at my shop right now so I’m trying to only do it one time.

  3. #3Tyler d4c2023-07-11 18:56

    You need 117 5032

  4. #4Homewood352023-07-11 19:27

    I’ll send it to my Cat dealer and see if they have it.

  5. #5Nige2023-07-12 04:15

    Yeah, but some of us (fortunately for the OP) have standards…… If Tyler hadn’t looked it up I probably would’ve.

  6. #6Nige2023-07-12 05:08

    To the OP. With this machine being grey market and not fully supported for parts in SIS under the 9CL prefix you really need a Parts Manual to avoid issues such as this one. But all they had to do was look it up under the engine Serial Number.........

  7. #7Homewood352023-07-12 07:36

    That’s what I couldn’t figure out. I gave him the engine serial number too. Thanks again sir.

  8. #8Nige2023-07-12 07:46

    With the greatest of respect you giving him the engine number and him actually using it to search for that gasket you needed are two different things. The Parts Manual you need is Publication Reference XJBP7327. Only available in Japanese but it will have all the illustrations and "English" Part Numbers. Available to download for $124 from HERE - just put XJBP7327 in the box & click the "Search" button. Or you could ask your dealer how much they would charge you to order a paper copy.

  9. #9Homewood352023-07-14 15:47

    The 117 5302 didn’t work unless he gave me a gasket that was wrong.(no packaging) one side seems to hang off too far. I can get a pic if needed.

  10. #10Homewood352023-07-14 15:52

    The 117 5032 didn’t work unless he gave me a gasket that was wrong.(no packaging) one side seems to hang off too far. I can get a pic if needed

  11. #11Tyler d4c2023-07-14 16:10

    Post a photo of it if the holes all line up its probably the right one

  12. #12chidog2023-07-14 16:36

    I hate RTV, and that application is the worse application to use RTV on, I can think of other sealers that will out live RTV.

  13. #13Homewood352023-07-14 17:04

    Nah, the holes don’t line up. Pump lines up fine.

  14. #14Nige2023-07-14 18:13

    I can see that the bolt holes all appear to line up plus one of the pump ports. Can you post a photo of the pump without the gasket on top of it please.

  15. #15Tyler d4c2023-07-14 19:34

    That other hole lines up with the hole in the block just to block it off you appear to have the correct part

  16. #16Homewood352023-07-14 21:12

    I won’t be able to take another pic until tomorrow. The hole on the gasket that is circled in red doesn’t line up and there’s no hole in the gasket to the left of it for the bolt to go through. That’s if I’m not doing something stupid which is highly possible.

  17. #17Tyler d4c2023-07-14 22:48

    Would adding a hole to the gasket make it work

  18. #18Nige2023-07-15 04:42

    That’s why I asked to see the pump without the gasket.

  19. #19Homewood352023-07-18 14:30

    Will this work. It says one of my images is too large

  20. #20Nige2023-07-19 16:49

    Sorry. Can get both the pump and the gasket in your last photo please. Half of the gasket is out of shot.

  21. #21Homewood352023-07-19 21:31

    I could probably put another hole in it but for a $25 gasket I’d rather have the right one.

  22. #22Tyler d4c2023-07-19 22:51

    Hows the gasket line up on the block? Is it the same way as the pump

  23. #23heymccall2023-07-20 01:27

    335-9125 This one moves your non-lining up hole toward centerline, as the gasket in your image has those three holes at 90° when drawn through.

  24. #24Homewood352023-07-20 21:11

    Yes. The water pump bolts up fine.

  25. #25Nige2023-07-21 03:05

    I think Tyler was asking the question does the gasket line up correctly (in respect of both bolt holes and coolant passages) with the cylinder block. Can you take a couple of photos of the front of the block, one without the gasket in place and one with.?

  26. #26heymccall2023-07-21 08:52

    Block appears to accept either bolt pattern, ie, two different waterpumps. His waterpump uses the circled hole. The gasket he has on hand uses the hole I marked with an X.

  27. #27Tyler d4c2023-07-21 09:06

    Well I believe I looked the gasket up for a d5g ass-uming they where they same being there both 3046 engines. I'll have to see if from a 3 to a 5 there is a different water pump

  28. #28Nige2023-07-21 09:32

    I looked into it a bit deeper from the engine S/N side. The Water Pump Gp for that particular engine Serial Number is 106-8263. The "water temperature regulator" gasket between the cylinder block and the pump cover was originally a 235-4958 which services to 335-9125 which is the gasket the OP was originally given by the dealer.

  29. #29Homewood352023-07-21 11:55

    Here ya go

  30. #30Nige2023-07-21 12:27

    Is that the 1st or the 2nd gasket that the dealer supplied.? It's a bit hard to see but do all 5 bolt holes in the cylinder block plus the 2 coolant ports all line up correctly with that gasket.?

  31. #31Homewood352023-07-21 16:29

    The coolant holes and all of the bolt holes line up but the one sticking out. I need it to bolt up where McCall circled if I’m not mistaken. I’ll walk down there and look in a few minutes. That’s the second gasket.

  32. #32Nige2023-07-21 16:53

    Put the gasket on the block and install as many bolts as will fit in the holes please. Then take a photo.

  33. #33joe--h2023-07-22 01:05

    chidog ​ I hate RTV, and that application is the worse application to use RTV on, I can think of other sealers that will out live RTV. Yes, morons that slop it on like peanut butter shouldn't be allowed to use it. But the 30 years I had a Jag repair shop and that stuff works well enough to keep the oil and water in a Jag which is something Jaguar never was able to do. So yes, if you slop on enough to plug the radiator or the oil pump pickup it's a problem. But those guys will screw something else up too so it's not the product, it's the maroon behind the wrench. And I'd have been done by now. Joe H

  34. #34Homewood352023-07-27 12:48

    Well, I finally just bit the bullet and modified the gasket. So far no leaks but equipment never seems to do that in a convenient place. Thanks for all the suggestions and time!