I have a Delco starter on a D4 Cat pony motor with a broken nose casting. The # on the starter is 1107024 0G13. I've got another starter off a 1951 WD Allis that looks like it will fit. The number on it is 1107951 1E25. They both appear to turn in the same direction. Does anyone know if these starters will interchange? The only difference I see eyeballing them is that the cat nose has a little material machined off the opening for the flywheel on one side. The other piece is all rough cast. Both nose castings have "300" cast in them.
I don't know about the WD starter but I have used Allis Model B starters to replace D4 D2 pup starters. Just had to drill a different dent for the set screw to hold the starter.
This one is probably the same starter as a B. It nearly fits on the pony. I can put it on the machine, but the tapered hole for the lock bolt is out of place and the starter switch is too close to the compression release. The original starter nose piece has about 3/4" machined off the casting. That allows the starter to be turned so that the lock bolt will enter the tapered hole and also gives more clearance fore the idler gear on the pony. The pole shoe screws and weld joint in the main starter housing are also in a different location, but I don't think that matters. I need to find the nose piece that fits the Cat pony, since I still need a starter for the Allis. If I can't locate one, I'll have to find a more common one and modify it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Allis-Ch...=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item2ecc72d3d2 Might work, says it fits 1107024 pretty common it seems. this is the cheapest listing I found. Here's a couple more: http://www.ombwarehouse.com/D-E-Housing-1.html http://www.steinertractor.com/ACS324-starter-drive-housing YMMV
I don't know how bad it would hurt the wallet, but you can convert that machine to direct electric start.
Ponies are just better, especially in cold country, LOL.. My opinion only.
The Cat drive end housing you are looking for is a Delco #1879156
Thanks to all of you. If I can locate a good drive end piece, that should get me going. It looks as if the piece is available and will fit either the Cat or the Allis starter. I'll probably have to grind or machine the new piece to fit the Cat application.
If you are replacing the pinion gear along with a different starter, be sure it has the same number of teeth as the original.