Got another question for you guys I've found a mid 50s D4 that's been sitting for awhile, I have not looked at it personally just saw some pictures it looks pretty straight for the age. The problems are 1 track won't stay tight the owner thought the spring was broke but couldn't remember. If this is true how hard is it to replace? The other issue is one track was weak which I'm assuming is a steering clutch or possibly from sitting? The current owner acted like he hadn't really used it as he bought it off a neighbor I think it's been converted to direct start but am not sure. What's something like this worth? thanks guys
I paid $1000 for mine. It was in a bit worse condition, as the previous owner had started to disassemble the track for a rebuild. The hauling charge was $600, just to get it to my shop. The direct start is surely a plus, as the pony engine can be a pain. Regards, Clark
If the track won't stay tight the #1 culprit would be the seals in the grease cylinder used to tension the track. Not saying the spring might not be damaged or have broken coils but that would not cause the tracks not to stay tight IMHO.
I thought the 7U required a FBS to tighten the tracks.
Late ones had Grease ones , .I have a D4-29A{Aussie built D4-6U **with them .
Thanks for that Ian. The one I was on as a young fella must have be an olddy or I have CRAFT
Most likely the big nut is stripped. You can tighten with a porta-power and cut a spacer from a piece of pipe to hold it tight.