D4 C first series, (I think) and serial number starting with 9BG ran out of fuel. I tried priming but no fire. Engine is 3204, serial number starting with 7YJ, injection pump, primer, oil and fuel filters are on the right side of engine, looking from the drivers seat. I'm working on it for a friend and want to check the system thoroughly and check for blockage at tank and at primary pump. Is there a water trap drain or separator? If so, where is it located? any other tricks to get the prime again? It starts dependably previously, Bruce
3 serial number ranges
Should be a Daily Water Drain valve at the bottom of fuel tank where the feed line is attached, these are old enough to not have a separator on them. Rust/sludge/micro-organism goo buildup in the tanks was a problem for machines that sat a long time, fuel will literally turn black with Algae.
I was looking over the steering clutch area and tank bottom and did not see a water drain. Do I need to dig deeper? Also, do these diagrams show the priming pump? The priming pump I have is near the filter bracket. Any bleeder screws to identify? Thank you for the help.
Look on the back bottom side of the tank the drain has a quarter turn valve may need to run a wire in it to get it to drain. Look under the floor deck plates if it has a fuel screen it will be there. Take the fuel line off the filter and blow air back to the tank. Open the throttle up and pump priming pump until it pumps hard. open fuel lines where they go into valve cover and crank motor till you get fuel squirting out close lines should start. Good luck Bob BTW you can get the service manual reprint from Cat around 35 bucks. That machine is a series II.