Leaking between pump And transmission. I'm replacing shaft seal and oring on pump housing. The old o ring had silicone sealed on it. Should I put silcone sealant on new one or just go with the new o ring. Thanks
I'm not familiar with that dozer but from my experience silicon/rtv is typically used when someone is trying to reuse an old o-ring and is concerned it may leak.
I would be a little concerned about the condition of the pump. It could leak if the seals were shot but there is usually an underlying reason. Or it could have been improperly installed at some point in the past.
I think someone installed it with the wrong oring really. I had to put a little bit of silicone on it because the oring actually sits in the transmission housing. It won't stay in place long enough to bolt up without it really. There was an ever so slight leak and really it would have ran a long time without fixing it. I almost put it back together without fixin it. It was a major pain to get some of the bolts out. I just couldn't not fix it. It's all back together and good to go!
A little grease works to hold o-rings and other such items in place for assembly. Good to hear you got it rolling again!