I just got home from Florida picking this up. I was the high bidder on GovDeals. My D5G hauler!
good luck on it, most likely low(er) mileage, usually well maintained, just the engine was derated, so it'll be slow to accelerate, we mostly carried 550Gs, 650g, h, or js or some d5s
122,000 on it. They were hauling a Gyro-Trac with it that weighed more than my D5, so It should work well for me. Hopefully I'll get the de-rated portion fixed at some point. New injectors etc needed I am reading...
Nice looking hauler there realistic_view. I recently helped a local fella design a set of hydraulically operated ramps for his new to him flat bed for hauling mini excavators & skid steers. I did the drawing & he built the ramps & took care of the power pack etc himself.
The ramps on this hauler are hydraulic as well.
Make certain you keep the brakes adjusted up may even want to add some sort of drop down bumper brace for when load/offload as that cab is still coming up with a 5 on the tail. By colors that was a Deere delivery truck from a dealership.
No, it was a US Forest Service Dozer transporter rig out of Florida. It has feet on the bottom of the hydraulic ramps that brace it all up when they are down. The GyroTrac they hauled was right at 27k. This D5g is about 21k.
Here it is in use in Florida
What motor is in it? Some of the de-rate may just be parameters you can reset with the proper software. Max speed on pedal, max on cruise, fan settings etc etc. Maybe even some injector codes to help it run depending on brand of motor. Junkyard
Awesome, missed the ramp feet in the previous photo.
It has a Cummins 8.3 L6 Its set at 240 hp. They wanted to make sure those Forestry guys didn't get any speeding tickets I have the local cummins guys on it already.
Missouri Dept of Conservation/Forestry has a similar setup for the smaller crawlers they use. Still rely on tractor trailers for larger machines but this looks like would fit a bill for function pretty well.
CDF used to use those back in the 1980s but I have never seen one in the wild. Nowadays they seem to have mostly standardized on D6 style tractors which are even kind of big even for a regular lowboy. They have a mishmash of Ford, middle age Mack and I don't know what all tractors to pull the lowboy. Of course the state never bought anything standard like a Kenworth or Pete or even a Freightliner. The bid process seems to ensure they wind up with something "different".
Actually would Be Florida Forest Service, state wildland firefighting and forest management agency. the transport bed is our own design, refined over several years, several other states and other agencies have borrowed or licensed our design for hauling, tractor plows or other equipment
Get them to spec it with a larger engine and a jake brake next go round
sadly, we the operators get little to no say in any of the equipment we get
Yep, people doing the ordering who have no idea what the needs are, typical government. If I were hauling that much weight behind me - especially if I were responding to a fire - I'd want more horsepower and an engine brake.
Cummins said it could be turned up to 300 hp with the way the motor is configured. 60 hp is better than nothing I guess.
Will the transmission handle any additional torque?
I would assume so. It has the HD series 6 speed allison in it. The dealer is doing the bump up.
Which series allison? 2000 or 3000? They all had 6 speeds FYI. (the 2000 and 3000 IIRC) I don't know what the MT series had in them.
I ended up going from 240 hp to 375 hp
If you don't mind my asking how did you go from 240 to 375? I just purchased a Chevy Kodiak, it's a real dog. Single axle with a 14 foot van box on the rear to haul tooling and materials. I have no clue what the HP rating is now, however if I go into a hill 65 mph with my foot through the floor board I come out the top at 40 it's very frustrating and I don't even have the mini behind it yet.
It's what the Cummins dealer put on it. I told them to go as high as they could. Yeah, I had the same experience unloaded.