Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4clll, d5, 939 steering issue

ilovetracks ยท 2024-06-21 23:42

Bought a d4clll that pulls on both sides but won't turn one way. Pulled the clutch and housing is full of oil, seems to me it'd have to be hydraulic as I can't imagine the final drive or rear center section hold that much oil as it was roughly 7 gallons of oil. Took a clutch out of a salvage 939 and it was full of oil too. Is this a common problem? Where's the oil coming from? The seal on cylinder didn't look like it was damaged. Also trying to figure out why clutch wasn't disengaging but more stumped on how so much oil is getting inside

Replies3
  1. #1Tyler d4c2024-06-22 00:00

    It's a wet clutch it's supposed to be full of oil. Most likely the brake isn't doing its job will that track stop turning if you push the pedal when the tracks are spinning

  2. #2ilovetracks2024-06-23 00:36

    Well that explains it I couldn't figure out where the leak is. I thought I read somewhere it was a dry clutch, must of misread model. The brake lining is worn out. Guy I bought it from said he didn't think it was disengaging. Might just be worn out lining. Thanks for posting, maybe I was reading an earlier model was dry. Thanks

  3. #3Tyler d4c2024-06-23 08:20

    The no letter and b model d3 and d4b where dry clutch once the c model came around they where wet clutch