Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4D Flywheel Clutch Frozen

Cat3006 ยท 2019-12-21 01:29

Hi All - I recently bought a D4D 85A and have put a few hrs on it without issue. I parked it up after a couple of hrs of work and must have shut it down with the flywheel clutch disengaged (lever in the forward position). I started it up a couple of hours later and the lever is stuck there. I disengaged the brake from the clutch linkage to see if that was it but no luck. I checked there were no issues in the linkage by attempting to engage the clutch straight off the housing with a stilson and it is definitely frozen. I was wondering what it might be and if there's anything I can try/adjust before looking at other options? I haven't had a chance to buy a service manual and am pretty new to dozers. Thanks in advance!

Replies7
  1. #1mg23612019-12-21 05:12

    Welcome to HEF Cat3006 ! The CAT guys will be along shortly, but they will need a serial number.

  2. #2Cat30062020-01-17 01:59

    So after a bit of research I think the clutch may have adjusted itself so much it can't re-engage. I got hold of a maintenance manual and found the adjusting process (attached). Just wondering if anyone knows which way to rotate the ring to slacken the adjustment? I've attached a photo of the adjustment ring through the compartment cover and you can see quite a few threads exposed on the ring - not sure if it is meant to look like that?

  3. #3Old Magnet2020-01-17 02:40

    Turning the adjusting ring clockwise (as viewed from the seat) tightens the adjustment. Typical adjustment is about 3" movement of the adjustment ring. Do not over tighten the clamp nuts/studs, they have been known to strip and can turn in to a big job to recover. Also possible the clamps are worn to where they won't hold position.

  4. #4Cat30062020-01-17 04:17

    Thanks Old Magnet! By 3" of movement of the adjusting ring do you mean unwind it to expose an extra 3" of thread on the ring? That would be quite a number of turns looking at the thread pitch?

  5. #5Old Magnet2020-01-17 11:11

    That would be 3" rotation of the ring. Just an approximation of how much movement a typical adjustment would be.

  6. #6dozr2020-01-17 12:11

    j was aways told 50 pound of pull on d 5 never went that tight cause i was one that had to pull it, all day

  7. #7Cat30062020-01-17 14:14

    Thanks! Will give it a go