Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4d wet flywheel housing?

hflbz ยท 2019-02-03 20:46

Does the 3304 engine in a d4d have a wet flywheel housing? I drained some oil out of the flywheel housing and didn't know if it was supposed to be in there or not thanks. Powershift transmission

Replies7
  1. #1Ct Farmer2019-02-03 21:07

    Should be dry. The rear main could be leaking. How much did you get out?

  2. #2hflbz2019-02-03 21:21

    About 2 quarts

  3. #3Ct Farmer2019-02-03 21:41

    That is a lot. How long did it take to accumulate? Mine weeps a bit even though it is new but I only get a few drips.

  4. #4hflbz2019-02-03 21:56

    It probably hasn't been drained in 20 years to be honest I know the previous owners didn't do much maintenance

  5. #5hflbz2019-02-03 22:01

    It probably is the rear main seal just wanted to be certain it wasn't a wet flywheel housing

  6. #6Ct Farmer2019-02-03 22:26

    You can do a rear main with the engine in but it is a real pain. Just watch it and keep adding oil unless it gets real bad. If you do it get the old style seal. Cat has a new one with a sleeve that is meant to be used if there is a wear spot on the crank. They supply that one as standard. I used that one when we rebuilt it and it weeps. I even had the Cat tech come and install it with the special tool just to be sure it was set right. Easier to pay $50 then make a tool. Problem is their tool sets it too deep and it barely catches the lip. Shoulda done it myself or used the old style.

  7. #7hflbz2019-02-03 22:44

    Thanks for the info!