Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4G Battery Removal

BladeManBob ยท 2017-12-29 19:12

Can someone please advise what needs to be removed or shoved out of the way in order to remove the two batteries on a Cat D4G dozer. Maybe I am overlooking the obvious here, and perhaps there is some trick experienced persons know.

Replies10
  1. #1Bls repair2017-12-29 20:13

    Photo please

  2. #2BladeManBob2017-12-29 23:22

    Photos pending. May not be able to get back to the machine until Sunday. Stay tuned.

  3. #3kshansen2017-12-30 09:27

    You didn't give a S/N so I just took a wild guess and found this set of instructions. This is what came up for a D4G with the FDC prefix on the S/N:

  4. #4BladeManBob2017-12-30 13:00

    That is just the break I needed. I knew there had to be another way than I perceived. Rain is keeping from working on the dozer today, back to you all later on the outcome.

  5. #5BladeManBob2018-01-03 17:28

    The disassembly instructions for battery access found by kshansen were right on target. Below are before and after photos. Now to determine the price from CAT and an aftermarket supplier. Unfortunatley, the outside battery was already freeze damaged. But since they were on the machine for about ten years, it's probably time anyway for new. Thanks, ks and others.

  6. #6kshansen2018-01-03 18:41

    Always nice to get a job done while sitting in a nice warm house and not even getting hands dirty! Glade to be of a little help! Ken

  7. #7CM19952018-01-03 20:12

    I've removed them without taking the sheet metal off after some meth heads stole the batteries and butchered the cables on my D5G but that's a different story.. Now that's a fine looking D4G for it's age - what's the back story?

  8. #8BladeManBob2018-01-04 16:31

    The backstory is the machine was purchased slightly use as an income write-down after a good timber cut. That was good financial strategy, but after the first 200 hours, it has mostly sat around outside for ten years. The batteries must be something astronomical to have lasted that long. CAT Replacements are $190/each and heavy as they come. I've got about two weeks worth of work for her on my own place after new batts and filters and fluid changes. Which begs the question, I changed the engine oil and filters about 4 years ago and never got to word due to illness. I'm wondering if it's safe to run on those, or change it all over again.

  9. #9CM19952018-01-04 18:34

    I've found the Cat batteries at my dealer are inline price wise with other heavy duty batteries and far superior. We buy all Cat batteries now. If I were you I would change the engine oil and filter and change the hydraulic filters just as cheap insurance. In our high humidity environment the fuel tank probably has some water in it, so I would drain the fuel tank and replace the fuel filters as insurance as well. Check the air filters, probably be a good idea to at least replace the outer, the inner if it looks deteriorated. Also a good idea to drain and re-fill the final drives. I would also take a sample of the hydraulic oil and coolant and let the dealer analyze it to determine it's condition. You might need to drain and fill those also. Stick with Cat ELC if you change the coolant. I am a big believer in ELC, when we changed the water pump on our 953C with 4500 hours on it the in and out coolant pipes were clean as a whistle with no signs of cavitation. When it comes to fluids and filters I always err on the side of caution and change it. Probably cost me some extra money over the years but I've got some 14 year old equipment on the job working with no major issues.

  10. #10nowing752018-01-05 17:21

    Just did a D5GXL yesterday. Did not take sheet metal off but it was tight.was almost as bad as the heat control cable.