Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4G Hydraulic Oil

shopguy ยท 2012-04-13 21:46

What is the best hydraulic oil for the G series Cats ? Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1d9gdon2012-04-13 22:31

    Cat Hydo 10 is what the operators manual calls for I believe.

  2. #2shopguy2012-04-13 23:59

    Is that a to4 or hydraulic type oil ?

  3. #3Nige2012-04-14 09:14

    You can use either a 10W hydraulic oil or a 10W TO-4 oil in the D4G according to the O&M Manual.

  4. #4shopguy2012-04-14 21:34

    Rando 46 ?

  5. #5TimHay2012-04-14 21:47

    I use 10w in the trany, diffs, and Hyd.oil on my cats keeps it simple and if you ever get cross contamination between the diffs and trany it doesn't matter. I find that works best for us.

  6. #6Nige2012-04-15 19:01

    That'll work, it's the equivalent of a 10W. Don't got putting it in transmissions though, it doesn't have the necessary TO-4 additives.

  7. #7d9gdon2012-04-15 19:52

    The transmission oil and hydraulic oil are in the same tank on a D4G.

  8. #8shopguy2012-04-15 21:13

    Yea it is the same oil and i have the 46 already but i was not sure about 46 in hydrostats. Thanks

  9. #9CM19952012-04-15 21:41

    I use the local Cat dealer brand 10W TO-4 in my D5G. Same spec as the black bucket but 30% cheaper.:cool2

  10. #10Nige2012-04-16 12:14

    According to the O&M Manual you can use either a 10W oil meeting TO-4 specification or a premium quality 10W hydraulic oil.

  11. #11shopguy2012-04-20 21:58

    Thanks to all.I have an O&M book but i cant find it.

  12. #12CM19952012-04-21 09:00

    Shopguy, I didn't see that you were from AL. Thompson Tractor has their brand (yellow bucket) 10W TO4 for around $50 per 5 gal bucket. Had to buy 2 buckets a couple of weeks ago when my D5G blew two drive motor lines. The Thompson brand meets all Cat specs.