Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4G Squeaking from undercarriage

RTSmith ยท 2014-06-17 11:53

I'm sorry, I usually do a lot of homework before posting, and have not done as much this time, but would love to have some more knowledge. D4G, Ser HYD1372. Running the other day clearing some saplings etc. After about an hour, there was a loud squealing from the right side track- only in forward. Reverse was quiet as it can be. Checked the fluid in the drive hub- good as my son feels it is coming from in the hub. Sounds to me like it is above the last roller, inside the covered area. All rollers are turning, no mud/dirt/rocks visible. I checked it when first started- no hot pin joints or rollers. So over the weekend, I went out and verified the sound, still present. Cannot trace exact area, but the sloped cover just in front of the drive sprocket has a "vibration feel" to it that I don't get elsewhere. So last night, go to get her loaded on the flatbed as I'm too old for heavy wrenching- and no noise at all. What's inside there? Where's the noise from? Any ideas or thoughts?

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2014-06-17 12:40

    Did you possibly have a rock trapped up above the track rollers that has now managed to work its way out..? They make one heck of a noise if they are rubbing on the roller flanges.

  2. #2RTSmith2014-06-17 13:13

    Well, I wondered that. There is a guard just in front of the drive sprocket that looked like would be great to see under. But I've removed 2 visible bolts, loosened a third- and obviously more elsewhere as it is still tight. Just looked at pic of guard on Cat parts book site. Looks like if I'm going to get curious, I'll need to get a little more dirty. Been reading and enjoying your posts for some time now. Thx for the thought!

  3. #3Nige2014-06-17 16:36

    Try the simple things before going too complicated is always my motto ..........

  4. #4Garrie Denny2014-06-19 01:35

    Are the rollers lubricated ? (Grease-Oil) could be a dry one or two.

  5. #5grandpa2014-06-19 04:58

    In general, when they squeak only traveling in one direction, its a rock. Keep looking.

  6. #6Construct'O2014-06-19 10:14

    Had a rock caught in the front idler on my D3G this spring that did the same thing.It was easy to find sense it left rub marks on the side of the idler.Good luck

  7. #7RTSmith2014-06-25 10:20

    Update- Never found "the rock". But on the inside of the sprocket, there is a nice shiny ring (inside, hard to get to to see, at least for an old fat guy..) where the sprocket has rubbed against something. No apparent damage. Since the noise had stopped, I assume it got kicked out sometime. Operated for an hour Sunday afternoon with no unusual noises. Thanks for all of the advice and encouragement.