Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4g xl

Prink ยท 2010-09-24 18:08

Hey guys, Am looking at buying a D4G XL. Wanted to hear from some that have owned/run these machines to hear about the good and bad aspects. I have run Case and Deere since I have been in the business, don't have much Cat knowledge. Would like to hear from ones that do. Thanks.

Replies6
  1. #1willd8r2010-09-26 03:08

    Hi I spent 2 years on a D3G now on a D5G I like the hystat drive both are very reliable, blade setup is good and trouble free, only good in good going due to fixed track frame both very productive fuel efficient I think they are an excellent machine if used for what they were designed for

  2. #2Prink2010-09-26 21:58

    Thanks for the reply willd8r. I just wanted some opinions from some that know these machines as I have almost no experience with Cat. Thanks again.

  3. #3inyati132010-09-27 06:52

    I have about 300 hours on a D3G LGP 2005. I use it on a farm in Ky where conditions are solid clay soil. It is being used for cutting roads, digging disposal pits, clearing, grading, pulling, etc. I sometimes debate myself on the LGP vs XL. Both have their advantages but I do like the extra weight and since I am retired and in no hurry, I am pleased with the LGP. It is harder on the undercarriage but I am not hard on it. I am a novice on the dozer but have done everything I have needed to do and the results have exceeded my expectations.

  4. #4Temu2010-09-27 18:40

    I've got a few hundred hours on a 2005 model just as you described. I loved that little fella! Man, the precision of the hydrostat is hard to beat, plus I liked to have the hand throttle as well as the decellerator option...and you sure can't beat push-button shifts! Economically, you can get a lot done on 2.5-3 gallons an hour. For my needs, I love the 6-way...and was impressed with it's toughness as well. It's a great machine as far as I'm concerned.

  5. #5JeremiahSr2010-09-27 18:51

    From a mechanical stand point: They are excellent machines but i work on them constantly with low hours. If your doin site work they seem efficient. But like the the JD H's....they have sensors on motors, pumps, handles and a computer/contoller. These things don't hold up much in the clearing and demo fields. They can't take the abuse. Really good machine though. Usually have to change the plastic damper on back of engine that drives pumps just like on CAT skid steers pretty often. Unless they've updated that lately. Anyway....just putting out the reliability side of it. Site work = excellent. Clearing/demo = bad.

  6. #6Prink2010-09-27 19:21

    Some good info. Thanks guys. Thanks JeremiahSr for the mechanical side of things. I have ran the D4 and do like the ease of controls of the hydrostat. Experience from the mechanical stand point is what i'm really interested in hearing about. Thanks.