Hey everyone! So heres the deal... I have an 80's model D4H... I was grading some land and it was doing fine and then all of a sudden it started dieing like it was running out of fuel.. which by the way the tank was completely full... so my dad started pumping what I believe to be a hand primer for the fuel( I included a pic for clarity )...as he pumped it I tried starting it and it fired up and ran fine but when he stopped it ran for about a minute then started dieing again like it was running out of fuel... I changed the fuel filter but it didn't help... I am unfamiliar with dozers and was hoping someone on here could shed some light on whats happening... thanks so much in advance!!
Could be the lift pump, an air leak, or something similar.
I had a similar problem with my D4h after grading very steep slopes .....fuel filter change didnt help.....fuel line from tank to filter was flowing very slow so i blew it out...that was the problem some tank debris was in the line.......i have also heard of this happening if you run one out or nearly out of fuel.. yes that is the fuel hand primer on top of the fuel filter
You may have a problem with the transfer pump(check valves) the rubber flaps break up. Check pressure try on elbow RH side of filter in pic. Should have 20 to 30 PSI. If fuel line was plugged don't think it would prime that good. Later Bob
Where is the transfer pump located? How do i check the valves? If i check pressure and its low or if theres no pressure what does that mean ?? Thanks so much.
It's bolted to the injection pump with three bolts. 3 check valves are inside, take apart carefully, some spring pressure and keep track of the direction the check valves are installed in. When you get it off pump on the plunger and see if it pumps. Later Bob.
If you provide complete S/N I could send you a parts breakdown on the pump.
Hey everyone. Just wanna say thanks to everyone who tried to help me. This dozer had two fuel filters. The one i changed was the secondary one. I found the first one, it was stopped up pretty good so i changed it and also found that the line coming from the tank to the filter was clogged. Took compressed air and blew it clear. Put everything back together and she fired right up. It runs great. Thanks again!! Yall are the best!!!!!