Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4H LGP tranny diagnosis needed

wayne z ยท 2015-01-11 21:02

Hello. last 2 times I started this tractor the transmisson was very reluctant to engage. After a few munites warm up, when shifted into any gear nothing happens except a slight lurch in the tracks. After repeated tries in and out of gear with some rpm, the trans finaly slowly engaged.Seemed to run and shift normal after that but I didn't work it and shut it down both times . Anybody have any idea what would cause these symptoms? Dipstick shows full. FWIW the last time this tractor was used was by my low experience co-owner neighbor who admitted getting confused and shifting into gears a few times without decellerating. I later used it for about 15 munites to drag a large log a short ways and it worked fine until next start up. My next thing to do is check the screens, suction hose and output pressure. Thanks, Wayne

Replies7
  1. #1Bob/Ont2015-01-11 21:16

    You might have got some trash down in the linkage to the brake valve. The linkage I mean connects the trans lock out lever to the brake valve on the steering control. Trash will prevent the brake valve from completely opening and let pump flow bleed off and reduce clutch pressure. The shifting at full throttle will not hurt the trans but I prefer to decal for shifts. Later Bob

  2. #2wayne z2015-01-11 21:32

    Thanks Bob I will check the linkage. Guessing it needs checking under the belly pan? He was shifting from neutral into 1st when changing directions without decel prolly at medium throttle. Could that cause damage?

  3. #3Bob/Ont2015-01-11 21:52

    No damage, you can get at the linkage from the cab sitting in the seat, take off cover and look down in with flash light. A few twigs or a ballpoint pen can jam it up. Later Bob

  4. #4wayne z2015-01-14 21:09

    Thank you Bob! There was a lot of twigs and stuff in there. After cleaning out the area, the trans worked flawless upon start up.

  5. #5Bob/Ont2015-01-15 10:33

    Good thanks for letting us know. Later Bob

  6. #6Multiracer2015-01-15 10:35

    This is what is so great about the forum and the people in it. Inexpensive success, got to love it.:drinkup

  7. #7Dickjr.2015-01-15 12:52

    I agree 100%. The guys are very knowledgeable ,there is no telling how much money has been saved by the forum. I know for myself a lot of that money is needed in my pocket.