Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4H Oil Pressure Switches

gdutson ยท 2024-04-07 13:45

Hello everyone, On my D4H sn 9GJ00398, I am troubleshooting a low pressure alarm. Does anyone know where the oil pressure switches are located? I want to test the sending switches. I was told there are 2 located behind the starter on the right side of the block. I want to confirm that before I pull the starter to find them? If I have to pull the starter to get to them, then someone at CAT needs to know that is **** poor engineering. Thx, Greg

Replies14
  1. #1heymccall2024-04-07 14:04

    Gauge sender.

  2. #2Nige2024-04-07 14:12

    Do you have a separate engine oil pressure gauge in additional to the EMS warning light panel.? If not then there is only a low engine oil pressure switch mounted just in front of the flywheel housing as shown on the photo HMC posted.

  3. #3gdutson2024-04-07 14:14

    Thanks. Where is this on the block?

  4. #4gdutson2024-04-07 14:16

    No gauge. Just an EMS dummy light. Which side of the block?

  5. #5Nige2024-04-07 14:20

    Left side of the engine at the back. For reference that is the flywheel housing (arrowed) you can see on the RH side of the photo.

  6. #6gdutson2024-04-07 14:22

    Perfect. I'll go tale a look. Thanks guys!

  7. #7gdutson2024-04-07 16:35

    Yep, found them tucked in to the right of the oil filter. Thanks again!!!

  8. #8Radivoj2025-03-14 14:53

    Hello, on same CAT i cant fin part number of oil press switch/sensor. Any help here?

  9. #9Nige2025-03-14 15:27

    There are two components shown in the illustration above. A switch marked #2 and a sender marked #1. What is the Serial Number of your machine.? Which of the two are you looking for information.?

  10. #10medow2026-02-25 12:15

    I'm having this same FAULT low oil pressure alarm. My S/N is 8PB02481. Any suggestions for the sending unit for ALARM? And another part I assume that feeds the oil TEMP gauge? I don't see a oil pressure gauge (analog dial of pressure), and just rely on the ON/OFF alarm. Is this correct? thank you all as always for the expertise here.

  11. #11heymccall2026-02-25 13:11

    The gizmo circled in post #6 triggers the oil pressure alarm. As an aside, my 8PB w/ 3204 would trigger the oil pressure alarm when revved up. If I took off the oil filler cap, when running, I'd get exhaust smoke w/ velocity. Turns out that the engine cylinder head didnt have valve guide inserts, and the iron head had worn enough to allow the valves to wobble. This same exhaust past the valves allowed the oil pump suction screen to 95% plug with soot. Head machined, valve guides added, and a new oil pump pickup screen cured ours. Mine was s/n 06217.

  12. #12Nige2026-02-25 14:36

    Check your message inbox for an electrical schematic appropriate to your S/N. There are two identical N/O switches that close when the oil pressure goes above about 13psi. One (Ref #12) simply is for activation of the hour meter via wire 400-GN. The other one (Ref #13) is connected to the EMS panel via wire 405-GY and triggers the low engine oil pressure warning.

  13. #13medow2026-02-25 17:19

    great insights here. thank you. I was thinking oil pressure sensor was here on top of oil filter. Any idea what this is?

  14. #14Nige2026-02-25 18:39

    That's the fiuel filter and the fuel pressure switch.