Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D9D 18A Final Drive Pinion Flange

Daniel Davis ยท 2024-04-07 17:11

Finally sourced all the parts to start going back together with my D9D 18A final drive. Put the little pinion gear back in. Put the driven flange for the steering clutch on the pinion gear. Supposed to press it on to 35 - 40 tons. I don't have to correct tooling to press it on. Local Cat dealer (Tractor and Equipment) doesn't have the tooling. Not available to purchase form Cat. Can I just torque the nut tight enough to press the flange on? How many ft lbs would it take?

Replies7
  1. #1Shimmy12024-04-07 22:59

    @tctractors do you have any ideas for Dan here if he can't source the proper tooling?

  2. #2chidog2024-04-08 02:40

    So they no longer make the tools? Then they should freely sell or give away any drawings for them. I had access to those tools years ago, but that fellow has long passed away.

  3. #3tctractors2024-04-08 15:31

    Well firstly I do have the correct tooling but that is not helping you due to Montana from the U.K. !!! anyhow I feel sure you can remove the complete flange and pinion out of a D8 and D9 in 1 go all as 1 assembly, just to be sure pop the flange on loose and do a dummy run of removing and refitting the complete assembly built up, then if this is possible you can press the flange home in a Shop Press at the lower target you posted, the D8 and D9 is the only Tractors you can do this 1 lump assembly on anything below needs separation of the flange to remove the assembly, torque tightening the nut will not get you any place close to the required tight fit, please double check things as I have suggested and use thick grease to hold up the inner pinion rollers to aid assembly, I hope it all goes well.

  4. #456wrench2024-04-09 10:20

    Thats how i did it when i changed the upper pinion seals on my old 46a but i took the pinion/flange assemblies to a guy that had the tooling because i was to cheap to have him come all the way to my place just to press the flanges on. It only took him 15 minutes

  5. #5tctractors2024-04-09 15:24

    56wrench I feel the chap is going to listen to the "I just beat them on Boys" I can tell you that once pressed on you could nearly leave the nut off and they would not shift free, but there is that many experts about that have worked on D9's that have just stopped being fed Mommy's Milk that take a hammer to things on there Uncle's D2 to sound expert in this repair.

  6. #6.RC.2024-04-09 18:38

    Don't forget the stick welder just to make sure it does not come loose after you finish beating it to death with a hammer.

  7. #7Shimmy12024-04-09 22:57

    I truly feel bad for this guy, trying to do these repairs himself, but some things just can't be done without following the rules.