Hey guys, I got a D4H, and I am trying to figure out what is causing it to stall. If I have it on flat ground, it idles and accelerates fine...but if I am going uphill or down hill the engine starts acting like its going to cut off. My mechanic can't get out here until tomorrow so I wanted to see if I could check the fuel filter and where I am suppose to drain water from the tank first. But I am unable to locate either..also maybe you have a better suggestion of where I should l look? Anyone know what that broken hose is? It is a D4H Model: 9GJ00764
The first thing that comes to mind would be the check valves in the transfer pump. They will pump with bad valves but not very good. To test, put a hose and gauge in the top of the injector pump were the sensor is located. You should get 50 PSI at high idle and 30 PSI with the engine under load. I have seen them run with 3 to 5 PSI when the valve flaps were broken up. Later Bob
Thanks Bob, I found out what it was, Simple fix, just the fuel filter was clogged... The one on there looked brand new and had about 10 hours on it but it had been sitting for over a year.. took it off and looked inside and it was full of gunk.. replaced it and the thing runs great again. Thanks for your suggestion, I appreciate it.
And next I would suggest that you drain your fuel tank of water and sediment toute de suite otherwise your replacement filter will probably go 10 hours as well ...... The fuel tank drain valve is located pretty much directly above the circular cover with the 6 bolts in it shown in your last photo. It should have a length of hose attached to it and clipped to the machine frame so that the when it's opened whatever drains from the tank falls to the ground rather than running down the machine. Open the valve and see what comes out. The Operation Manual recommends to drain water & sediment from the fuel tank after every 10 hours of operation or daily. How long is it since yours was last drained..?
looks like the hose is for the air cleaner restriction indicator, there should be a fitting on the pipe between the air cleaner and the head, if the hose is broken block the fitting where it goes in to the pipe to stop the engine from sucking dirt until you can get it fixed Mark
The air cleaner restriction indicator (arrowed) is actually missing according to this photo. Maybe what's left of it is still screwed into the housing, it's hard to tell. Here's what the Parts Manual shows. The busted hose should connect to the elbow on the right (circled).