What a job this is turning into be!!! I the spring under tension using my $230 JD special bolt. But when I try to back it out the spring just spins. I tried using a ratchet strap but then it does not line up and I have some real issues getting it to seat correctly. Any Ideas on how to secure this spring to where I can back this bolt out? Thanks
Not a JD guy but can you post a pic ?
Here you go AllDodge
Might be wrong but I think that maybe cap ends are swapped. Found this setup and the end cap where the bolt is might be smooth, and the other which is thicker should have a recess to hold the nut. The end cap which holds the nut should also have something to keep it from turning.
Ill look at again. The way that it was on there was the way that I pulled it off. The one end cap is threaded and if I reversed it there would be no way to get the bolt in place. The bold is from JD and is not long enough to have nuts used on the end like in the diagram.
As before I'm not a JD guy, was hoping that with my post maybe someone more knowledgeable then I would comment. Since there is no nuts and the end cap is threaded, is there anything on the thread cap side which might come in contact with the frame to keep it from turning? If the cap is threaded all the way thru, is there a possibility that cap is flipped? Just guessing
Look at the diagram that AllDodge posted. You need to ignore everything above the front idler wheel in the picture. Your setup is in the picture below that idler wheel. Look at the list of tractors in the bottom right corner and the arrow going to the relevant portion of the picture.
I was able to back out the bolt using some backyard engineering. I welded a piece of angle to it and it did the trick. Thanks for all the replies.
While this post is 'in the news', regarding the adjuster for track tension: I was wondering if it is possible to repair the grease seal and replace the rod without messing around with the spring? JD450 G in my example.
Oh yeah, the track adjuster rod just slips into a socket in that front cap on the spring, right where the ratchet head is in the last picture there. No need to mess with the spring unless it's broken or something.
Yea that is correct. But my spring was busted so it had to be done. The original rod was so rusted into the socket that I could not get out to be replaced.