Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4K LGP

southernman13 · 2023-05-10 18:00

RRR 00416 blew a transmission charge pressure hose. It stopped like I hit a tree. Thought I did lol but no trees present. Cab machine so haven’t looked into lifting that yet but will tomorrow. Other end on filter is easy wondering what transmission fluid to use for that. Really don’t want high price cat unless it’s necessary. But I will hehe, thanks

Replies21
  1. #1Welder Dave2023-05-10 18:44

    Shouldn't be too hard to find an oil that meets Cat TO 4 specs. in the right viscosity.

  2. #2ahart2023-05-10 19:04

    I could be wrong and will stand corrected if it turns out I am but the only lines I’ve ever had to pull the cab to change on a K dozer of this size are the hard AC lines. Any hydraulic hose (this is a hystat machine so it uses 10W hydraulic oil for that system) can be accessed either from the floor plate or the rear cover above the hitch. Might have to drop the bottom guard in extreme cases.

  3. #3southernman132023-05-10 19:23

    Tenfo never worked on a cab machine was thinking it tilted but didn’t look at it really. Maybe it won’t be too bad. Yeah right lol

  4. #4Welder Dave2023-05-11 02:08

    Didn't realize it was hydrostatic but still shouldn't be hard to find an oil that meets the Cat specs.

  5. #5southernman132023-05-12 14:16

    Well I gotr done ! Only took about 12 hrs lol. Just kidding was pretty easy and non eventful! The book calls for several different hydraulic oil choices. One of which is TO4. I just happen to have 4 buckets I bought for one. Of our Komatsu’s. Thanks for the reply’s

  6. #6Nige2023-05-12 16:14

    SAE10W TO-4 will work fine in a hydraulic or hydrostatic systems. The additives in the TO-4 for wet brakes are not required but they won't do any harm either.

  7. #7southernman132023-05-12 16:16

    Tenfo well, like I said, it was listed as a oil in caterpillar‘s book and I called caterpillar and they said yes to go for is good I didn’t want to take a chance

  8. #8southernman132023-05-12 16:17
  9. #9Nige2023-05-12 16:27

    It is an SAE10W TO-4 you're putting in it, correct.?

  10. #10southernman132023-05-12 16:57

    I hope this is correct this is what I used.

  11. #11southernman132023-05-12 17:01

    When I called cat they said TO4 is correct. He did not specify or ask if it was 10W. I’m not blaming them if it’s wrong I figured TO4 was TO4

  12. #12Nige2023-05-12 17:03

    Hardly. TO-4 is a specification and is available in 3 different viscosity grades (10W, 30, & 50) AFAIK. You need 10W. The label does not say what viscosity it is, which was my question............ My ears pricked up when you said you bought it for Komatsu use and made me suspect that it was SAE30 viscosity, which is too heavy for the D4K hydrostat application.

  13. #13southernman132023-05-12 17:15

    Tenfo I pulled up the same chart and I see that. I’m gonna call the place I bought it and see if they can tell me the viscosity. I saw that on the recommendation chart I posted 10W. I just figured wll TO4 was 10W. My bad fosho. I just wish Cat would have asked me the same question. I would’ve checked. I was gonna head to cat and get what I needed until I looked at the book. Oh well maybe I have the correct oil. We’ll see. I put like 3 gal in it. If it’s wrong is that enough to warrant changing the entire system. I certainly hope not. Anyway let me see what I find out

  14. #14southernman132023-05-12 17:25

    well it’s called power drive 30 so I'm betting it’s 30 weight. So now the question is do I need to drain and refill.

  15. #15Nige2023-05-12 17:27

    Not surprising. I saw on the label it's made by Conoco. We used to use it in powershift transmissions. Good oil IMO. https://phillips66lubricants.com/product/powerdrive-fluid-mining/ Total system capacity for your D4K is listed as just over 22 gallons. If you only put 3 gallons of SAE30 TO-4 into it shouldn't really affect the system overall. Just make sure that whatever you put in from here on out is SAE10W.

  16. #16southernman132023-05-12 17:30

    Absolutely will do that. I should’ve researched it better. Last thing I want to do is screw that system up fosho

  17. #17Nige2023-05-12 17:30

    Why would they.? There is more than one viscosity option for TO-4 oils in the lube chart in the manual. It's up to the machine owner/operator to figure out what viscosity is needed by consulting the ambient temperature chart. That's what it's there for.

  18. #18southernman132023-05-12 17:46

    Yes I get all that and not blaming them for my ignorance but it wouldn’t have been much for him to say TO4 is fine if u use the right viscosity I called him specifically to ask if TO4 was ok to use. I told him I had 4 buckets of TO4 that Meets Cat specs. He never asked well which TO4 oil do you have ? I obviously was seeking help and information. Again not blaming them. It’s all good now I know about TO4

  19. #19Welder Dave2023-05-12 18:48

    Over the phone it's very hard for a parts guy to know how versed the customer is on their machine and lubricants required especially if they deal with a lot of big outfits and experienced maintenance people who know exactly what they need. They aren't mind readers.

  20. #20CM19952023-05-12 20:05

    SM13 10W TO4 hydro is what you want to run in all your Cat equipment. We're both in the same sweatbox in the summer and 10W works out well for us in all our Cat iron. 15w40 engine as well.

  21. #21southernman132023-05-12 20:42

    Tenfo