I need to temporarily convert my D4K into a D4k-lift. My question is how much additional weight beyond the blade itself, can the lift hydraulics handle? I guess I could ask are there any accessories (such as a root rake) that can be used on the blade and how much do those weigh? I have about 2 tons of concrete bags to move and I'm hoping it will be more than one at a time.
I don't know if cat speced a force, but think about it if you've ever come up under a stump with that thing and got with it, I'm pretty sure it's more than two tons if you strap two tons of something to the front though it's going to wallow along pretty crudely. Keep that in mind if you have any soft conditions.
Well I think the whole 2 tons would be a bit much. You're right that it would be pretty unstable. I was thinking more along the 500 to 600 lbs range. Also adding a few hundred pounds on the rippers in the back to balance things a bit
I think clay is around 3000lbs./yard. Seems when pushing in a stall the blade on dozers easily lifts up to keep pushing. Never looked the blade capacity up but sure it's more than 1 yard. I'd think you could easily lift a ton or more, maybe 1 1/2 tons. My 931B loader can lift about 4000lbs with the 4 in 1 bucket on. Pretty light on the back end with no counterweight when lifting a heaped bucket but lighter material isn't a problem. A dozer is mostly limited by hyd. capacity with the lift cylinders retracting rather than extending. With a ripper on it you should be fine and probably won't need extra counterweight. Your machine might have a longer track frame too.
How far to you have to move these bags and over what type of terrain? I've moved a lot more than two tons of concrete bags in a wheel barrow for a lot less money than it would take to modify a dozer blade to handle pallets. A couple of days of rental on a fork lift or skid steer would be less than the design, materials and labor for what you are proposing.
Rough Terrain Fork Truck or packing it into a small straight truck sounds more effective.
Well it's hard to describe but about half a mile and up a hill so steep my F350 can't make it. I would say a wheel barrow, fork lift, or skid steer is out. Haha. My Plan is liberal application of Uni-strut, plywood and strapping.
Pull truck with dozer?
I like your thinking. The road is just too twisty and sketchy for that though. Maybe a short trailer....
In 1995 at ESL IL UE Headquarters I was issued a job to help recover a crane near the Rush Island Power Station, REALLY Sketchy directions that ended at a gate where I was to radio to the line crew I had arrived. Sat there ten minutes then heard the 1150 Case, cabled onto the 4x4 ton single wheel and away we went thru a swamp then up a slope I feared the engine would starve for oil. Crane was a older grove truck chassis rig, on its side with outrigger buried in a hole. Had to cut away the mast and two of four outriggers, then they dragged that carcass then my service truck back out.
We want pictures or it didn't happen.
Go talk to a logging crew working a yarder. That's everyday work for them, except they are pulling and pushing in 100K or more. A few sacks of cement would be light work.
Ah well I appreciate the suggestion but there isn't any logging operations within a hundred miles of here or more.