I've got a 96J D5 with a fuel leak on the fuel governor. It has a sleeve metering fuel system. The leak is two part, the outer seal on the side of the governor where the throttle control shaft connects to the throttle linkage is leaking fuel and the inner seal is also leaking. The way I understand it is the inner seal is supposed to keep fuel in and the outer seal is supposed to keep oil inside. My next question is how to fix this. The two seals are identical and cheap but the inner seal requires pulling the governor apart. My local guy is telling me that the entire governor and injector pump will have to be removed from the dozer and can't be fixed still on the machine. Can I not pull the governor from the injector pump or fix these seals with it still attached to the engine? And if the entire system has to be pulled does anyone have the timing procedure for the engine and fuel pump?
You can just pull the governor off of the pump but you need to be careful to get it back together right. If you get it wrong the engine can runaway on startup. Its not that hard if you've done one before. You should always have a way to block the air supply off to the engine when you start it after doing governor work.
Thanks. I've never done it before so there will be a lot of learning involved. When removing the governor from the back of the injector pump is there anything that I need to be worried about keeping in time or anything to especially watch for in general? I haven't had the dozer long and I haven't had the chance to get a shop manual yet.