Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5 96j steering clutch replacement

Cfred · 2020-02-24 12:07

Replacing steering clutches on a cat d5 96j. Took it apart a couple months ago. Didn’t take pictures when doing the tear down. . Hoping you guys can help me out. Is the nut on the correct side of the clutch fork? Anybody have a a schematic of it? Thanks guys.

Replies5
  1. #1Dave Neubert2020-02-24 18:24

    Yes it looks right I'am doing one now should have a jam nut to lock it down

  2. #2Cfred2020-02-24 18:29

    Thanks for your reply. I don’t remember it having a jam nut when we took it apart. Doesn’t mean it shouldn’t have been there though. I ordered a service manual for it today. Hopefully it has some good pictures in it! Lol

  3. #3Nige2020-02-25 08:57

    Seems like you're missing #32 (1B-4206 Nut) in the attachment.

  4. #4Cfred2020-02-25 11:33

    I can’t see the image for some reason. And it won’t download for me. When I press download it closes the forum. Probably something on my end.

  5. #5Dave Neubert2020-02-26 08:02

    You just need a 5/8 fine thread nut to lock the adjuster down