Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5 verses D6

Bob Cowdery ยท 2022-04-04 17:46

What differences are there between a D5 96j and a D6 C like a 10k. I know the 6 has a turbo. Are there chassis differences?

Replies6
  1. #1Dave Neubert2022-04-04 17:51

    D6 is a bigger machine has bigger undercarriage weighs more too

  2. #2Old Magnet2022-04-04 20:03

    One of the biggest differences is the D5 is single reduction gear final drive like the old D6's. The newer D6's are compound reduction gear final drives.

  3. #3Bob Cowdery2022-04-05 08:33

    So basically a 96J is a D6 B but with power shift and the 3306 engine? I have a pretty decent D6 9U. But there is a D5 about 5 miles away with head issues and it need segments. Power shift and tilt blade. The owner is in his 90's and finally said he would part with it. I know of the gentleman and he may have bought it new.

  4. #4Old Magnet2022-04-05 11:29

    Would need to have a s/n 96J3588-up to have the 3306. Earlier models would have the D333c engine.

  5. #5Bob Cowdery2022-04-05 11:57

    Engine tag says 3306. Hoping to speak with the owner today. His nephew said it was either new on very low hours when he bought it.

  6. #6Bob Cowdery2022-04-05 16:42

    The hour meter is showing 1177 hours. I believe them the be accurate. The nephew said they just got done with some fence rows and started blowing white smoke. Thought the blew a head gasket. It has be sitting for at least 17 years. I pulled the dip stick and looks like grease on the bottom couple inches of the stick.