Recently purchased an old D560 Champion that has been sitting for about a decade. Fired right up, and nearly made it home before a few problems arose. Just changed the fluid for the clutch/torque converter, and it looked like milk. Engine oil was fine. Hydraulic hose to the steering gearbox leaked...also milk. It obviously has lots of moisture in the fluids. Next step is transmission and differential, but not having any luck finding where to check or add tranny fluid. Operators manual is no help, and not having much luck with finding a shop manual. Anyone familiar with these? Thanks in advance
What trans ? Manual has a plug about 1/3 the way up the side. Diff has a plug about 1/3 of the way up as well. Simple old machines, I cut my teeth on an old D600.
Thanks D2B, Found it! Its got the 9135 transmission. A few more questions (there will be more) Is there a filter screen for the tranny that needs removed and cleaned? For the shift lever box, below the cab, I'm probably going to disassemble, and clean out the old grease/grime as it doesn't shift well. Anything to look out for/be mindful of? Circle valve actuator works, but is pushing hydraulic fluid through the top. Cant really see much yet, as it is covered in about an inch of oil and dirt, but is this a complicated dissasembly? My assumption is its a worn seal inside. Jade Equipment couldn't help on the parts breakdown for it. Again, thanks for the help!
Should be a screen where the big suction hose connects near the bottom of the trans. Nothing special about the shift linkage. And if you mean the swivel that supplies oil to mouldboard tilt and slide there are just some large o rings in there.
Thanks again. On the second part, no, it's the actuator that controls the two pistons that makes the circle turn rotate.
Oh sorry. Again just an o ring I think but I can confirm tomorrow when I get near a parts book.
As I tell all new Champion owners. There is a gear on the underside of that actuator with a grease fitting. Keep it well greased if it is not already worn out. When it gets worn, it will frig up the timing of the pistons, and the circle will jam. There are wear plates that control the up and down, and position of the circle gear in relation to the timing gear, and the two rotational gears that can also throw things off. Sometimes, the inside of the circle it self can become worn out of round, and make this backlash hard to manage.
As I tell all new Champion owners. There is a gear on the underside of that actuator with a grease fitting. Keep it well greased if it is not already worn out. When it gets worn, it will frig up the timing of the pistons, and the circle will jam. There are wear plates that control the up and down, and position of the circle gear in relation to the timing gear, and the two rotational gears that can also throw things off. Sometimes, the inside of the circle it self can become worn out of round, and make this backlash hard to manage.
Thank you both. I'll hopefully get the transmission oil done today, and take a harder look at the circle gear.
Well, hopefully I inadvertently dodged a bullet. When bringing the grader home (prior owner lives very close) the front push block shaft coming off the tie rod broke. He limped it into a neighbors field, and that's where I've been working on it while waiting to get a new one to be machined. I went ahead and drained the transmission oil, and was very surprised maybe a half gallon of fluid came out...should have close to 5 gallons per the owners manual. Both drain plugs have fuzzy shavings, but no chunks. If it hadn't broke down from something unrelated, I may have toasted the tranny. Pulled the filter screen, and it was clean. The inline filter was nasty. Went ahead and flushed the gearbox with a mixture of Marvel Oil and 10w hydraulic fluid. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get it refilled and more functional. On a separate note, anyone have a source for salvage sheet metal parts (already talked to Jade)? I guess years ago, the brakes weren't working, and it rolled backwards into a tree. Mashed the radiator, so it has been retrofitted... consequently the hood sections closest to the radiator are gone, leaving the engine exposed. Functionally, not a big deal, but would like to replace it - and maybe find a better fitting radiator.