Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D57s want steer

chris allen · 2023-03-13 19:33

Helping a friend look at his loader , had been working operation is fine till after a hr or so then the right side would start turning around slow on that side, also can hear a lite chatter or growling coming from right side , Figured that the right side discs were shot, so we removed both clutch baskets and took the right side basket apart an discs looked fine an plates did too, no scoring on either, so we reinstalled baskets back into loader then, also had took the steer hyd control valve apart an cleaned up, didn’t see any broke springs or nuthin outta the ordinary. Put it all back together an refilled rear end with new oil an cleaned suction filter out. Start the loader up now an it’ll drive forward and reverse, step on the right pedal an it turns right, step on left side an it want turn left, Had ran brake adjustment screw in all way then backed out 1 1/2 rounds . How can we tell if the right side is slipping discs or if the control valve is acting up. Going grey headed here.

Replies8
  1. #1James Sorochan2023-03-14 22:47

    Chris. Have you figured it out yet. Do you have a service manual? What the serial number and year on the machine? I have the service manual for a D57S-1 machine, 1987 vintage. If you need me to find some info in there let me know.

  2. #2Voodooburner2023-03-14 23:11

    Did you see my D41 manual pic in your last thread? Brake may not be adjusted correctly

  3. #3chris allen2023-03-24 13:26

    Hello Mr James. Do you mind sending me Ur copy of the manual if it’s on a pdf file on ur computer. Or some information on trouble shooting the clutch baskets a control valve for steering. [email protected] . I’ve got a mid range serial. 200100 area

  4. #4James Sorochan2023-03-24 22:55

    Chris, I sent you a few pics from my manual. I see some PDF's online with higher serial numbers like yours so I'm not sure if my manual is of any use to you.

  5. #5chris allen2023-04-11 19:04

    Hello again, finally got back out to the loader, got some of my issues addressed, got it good an hot today an it started acted up again like before , at times I can step on the right pedal an it’ll stop pulling on both sides, I can press the left side barely an it’ll go back to pulling. Kinda like the spool valves in the steer control valve. Had took it out an took it apart, polished up the spools A valves a reassembled, Can ya share few more pics from ur book, steer hyd pressure checks , possibly steer linkage adjustments. Thinking it’s something dealing with the control valve or linkage. Thx

  6. #6James Sorochan2023-04-11 22:42

    I'll grab the manual tomorrow when I have a few minutes and get you some more picks.

  7. #7chris allen2023-05-16 15:25

    Hey again guys, just now getting back to the loader, ran it today with gauges hooked up to it, ran great till oil gets hot, Left side shows round 300 psi area an oil pump supply line would show nearly the same, right side would show maybe 320 area an supply line would be nearly same too, after it gets good and hot then the left pedal will start to act up again, can feel the clutch chattering, Dureing this the pressure would drop to 150-200 psi along with the supply pump pressure. I compared my pressures off this loader with another one from a different farm, 300 psi area for each steer pressure. Acts like the relief valve is sticking a dumping oil off somewhere inside steer control valve. But I think left an right side share same relief? Would like to narrow it down lil better than just finding a whole used control valve, Or maybe the spools in control valve need some adjustment.

  8. #8Dave Neubert2023-05-17 18:51

    Did you replace the clutch housing seals when you had it pulled down bevel gear bearings will wear and get loose wallering out the seals