i have a d5b 1979 that cat says should have pump 6n5227 can i install a 7n2177 off a d6d?
All the guts of the 7N2177 are different Part Numbers to those in the 6N5227, so I guess the answer is no. even the governor spring is different. The above is assuming that 6N5227 is actually the correct FIP for your particular Serial Number of D5B.
Thanks for the quick response
My serial number is 46x510 3A5174 engine is 3306 49v18956 5c5173
I’ll check using those numbers but it will be tomorrow before I get answers.
From what I see in SIS, I believe the FIP off the D6d will work, assuming that both engines share the 49v serial prefix. There appears to be many variations of the pump and governor through the range of serial breaks on those old girls. Dimensionally they should be the same or close enough for interchangeability but I would have a means of positive air shutoff ready just in case (if it's an untested component). Just my two cents. Good luck!
I had a bit of a deeper look. The 6N5227 is actually a field installation for the D5B. The correct P/N for the FIP & Governor Gp for engine S/N 49V18956 "as built" is a 4N1836. Differences between the 4N1836 and 6N5355 (6N5227 drilled down a couple of levels) are only a few bolts and the dashpot assembly, so that info seems to jibe. For that matter the 7N2177 is also a field installation for the D6D. Original Part Number appears to be 1N4807. Looking deeper into the differences between the 7N2177 and the 6N5227, for me the keys are that the camshaft and the individual injection pump assemblies are different. That to me indicates possible injection timing differences and maybe also differences in fuel volume per injection cycle. And when I looked at the injectors I could see why. The 7N2177 FIP is designed to work with direct injection, the OP's D5B is a pre-combustion chamber engine. For that reason I would not recommend trying this swap. I suppose it begs the question - what's wrong with the original FIP from the tractor..?
I bought the tractor from a neighbor in hopes of it running again was missing FIP and starter The FIP seems to be hardest part to find at a reasonable price.
I suggest that you send a PM to HEF member "thepumpguysc". If anyone can come up with leads as to where to find an FIP, he's problably the most likely candidate. Alternatively you can email him at the same name as above plus "at aol dot com". I also suggest that you give him a link to this thread so that he can understand what you're after.