I have a line on a 1974 D5B LGP, 34" pads, powershift. Now the owner says it is a SA machine, and from what I gather reading about them, SA refers to agricultural, direct drive machines. the machine is some distance away from me, I am waiting on some pictures, but before I go take a look I was wondering what you folks out there could tell me about these tractors. HP, problem areas etc...
Don't have any experience with one but you say it is a powershift trans and then say an SA machine is direct drive as in clutch? I have read that ag tractors came with smaller idlers IIRC.
If it really is a 1974 build it's a D5 not a D5B, they didn't appear until about 1977. S.A. machines are all direct drive. A serial number would help a lot.
I will get the serial number. does the straight D5 still use the 3306 engine?
The D5 is fitted with the 333C engine with P/C head, its a 4"3/4 Bore engine that leads onto the 3306 unit with a very similar look to it, the water pump location will soon put its pedigree forward.
I still don't have a s/n but here is a pic, maybe you guys can tell by the looks!
That's a powershift D5 LGP alright, original series (not a B). As tct stated it's either a D333c or 3306 power depending on serial #. The first few hundred built were 93h.p. (same as the D6B they replaced), and then it was upped to 105h.p.
Ordinary D5, not a D5B. is a LGP model; looks to be fitted with a D6C A blade. D5 A blade was a very different design to that blade. Dry brakes; Final drives were weak on these. Pay to do a lot of careful inspecting before anyone buys.
Careful inspecting of just the final drives? Fill me in on what you know. Are dry brakes really a big problem? I've read that the bands can be changed without a big fuss, was i mislead?
I'd guess it to be a 96J model, wide gauge and powershift, USA built. Would have to be a 96J3588-up to have the 3306. It's not that the back end is weak, it's just that it is a carry over from the old 4R/5R and 8U/9U and D6B line up.
OM is right about the rear end design; was ok in its original design, but p/s D5 at 105hp was abit much for it ! Had a look in my notes. Only p/s lgp D5 was a 6R built in france, so unlikely to be that ! Will be a 96J with optional extended track frames, and still 74' gauge. Drain the finals and look for any sadness. Dry brakes are ok, a lot depends on what sort of man sits in the seat and how hard he is on brakes. Can be relined in place normally. But a winch on the back blocks 2 access holes, so maybe winch off to replace brakes. Can,t remember if it can be done otherwise, possibly yes or worst case may have to pull clutchs for brakes to come out.
dry brakes and D5's We've owned many different dozers with dry brakes never thought it was the end of the world. We have had lot's of D6-8 and 9 U's a D6-B and really haven't had much rear end trouble at all! If you have new dry brakes it should take several thousand hours before needing a brake relining job again. I have worked a long side several D5 tractors working in our oil and gas fields moving small drilling and service rigs, Building roads and small locations,working on ponds, clearing and grubbing farm land, building sites for new homes. I don't remember them having much rear end problems or getting tore down for many brake jobs either. Imo the D5's stood up well to hard work in tough often muddy conditions, the operators liked them and they made there owners money!