Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5C C Frame

zbo2 · 2018-12-06 14:27

Had a friend bring over his D5C because one of the pins that hold the C Frame to the Eye Bolts broke. The pins were so loose it wore out the eye bolt attachments. Is there a trick to getting those eye bolts out of the track frame support? Thanks Joe

Replies9
  1. #1John C.2018-12-06 19:39

    As I recall those are a big eye bolt with nut on the rear of cross bar. If it has been running loose I've always had to cut the nut loose with a torch.

  2. #2zbo22018-12-06 23:09

    Thanks John..... The nuts came off with no problem. I can't seem to get the eye bolt itself out of the support hole. Tried pushing on it with a porta power with no luck. Took a BIG jack hammer to the big eye to try to get it to turn a little to free it up and no luck with that either. Not really enough room from behind to get the jack hammer on the nut end to try to shove it out either. I was saving heating up the frame support as a last resort. The eye bolt itself wasn't loose just the connection to the cframe. Any suggestions?

  3. #3John C.2018-12-07 00:06

    Is it possible to unscrew the bolt out of the frame?

  4. #4Cmark2018-12-07 04:11

    The last one I did I had to take the beam out and put it in the 100T press, plus heat.

  5. #5zbo22018-12-07 15:50

    Cmark………….that's what I was afraid of. John C...…… well its not threaded but we put the jack hammer on the big eye trying to shock it to turn a little hoping that would free it up a some but that did nothing.

  6. #6Theweldor2018-12-07 19:53

    I think those are a tapered fit, same as a ball joint.

  7. #7John C.2018-12-07 20:00

    How bad is the eye. If you are replacing the component anyway then just take of the center with a cutting torch. Truthfully I've never done one that was bad that wasn't already loose.

  8. #8zbo22018-12-09 00:11

    Yea John...… just my luck. Eye is worn out but the shaft is tighter than hell. I'll let you know how I make out.. Probably won't work on it till Monday.

  9. #9Cmark2018-12-09 02:19

    They're a parallel shank but about four or five inches long so maybe a bit too long to pierce with a regular oxy torch. If you go that route you will probably have to lance it.