Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5C losing power

TQM · 2026-09-13 10:12

Trying to drain the fuel on my 1997 D5C XL SN 9DL00379. I think I have found the drain valve, but what size tool is it I need to loosen?

Replies4
  1. #1pittsburgh cat man2026-09-13 11:13

    Usually 1/2 drive tap plug with hammer before trying to loosen then you will need a pipe nipple in a hose to screw into drain to open ecology drain

  2. #2Nige2026-09-13 11:42

    Remove plug #20. Use a 1" pipe nipple on a length of hose screwed into fitting #18. This will open drain valve #15.

  3. #3TQM2026-09-13 21:51

    Thanks but I’m not sure what you mean by length of hose.

  4. #4pittsburgh cat man2026-09-13 22:32

    we used a piece of heater hose about 3 or 4 foot long pipe nipple to fit in heater hose and adapters and nipple to fit the drain plug. If you just screw a nipple into the drain it will be messy and I always hated getting a fuel bath lot easier to catch the old fuel too