Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5 loss of GPS functions

Danfromcomo · 2026-09-12 18:16

Z6A01087 My next gen D5 that I bought a few months back has a code on for all of the gps components, blade sensor, c frame inertia sensor and a couple more gps related. The slope assist and grade control functions are not working. I had a rep from Trimble tell me that since neither of the sensors on the blade are working, its probably a broken wire. Told me to trace it where it runs along the c frame to the front of the machine. I did that, had continuity on all 4 wires so im pretty sure the wiring is good. On that part anyway. I traced it thru a panel then under the floorboard it enters into a large wiring harness. I looked for any blown fuses and didn't see anything referencing gps. Im wondering if there is some sort of controller hidden somewhere that may be unplugged of have a broke wire. I do not have a manual or wiring schematic for this machine. Is someone can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Replies11
  1. #1AMBMike2026-09-12 18:37

    It's been a while since I've played at diagnosing these systems but I can ask a few questions until @Nige , @Cmark , @pittsburgh cat man or other gurus arrive. What error codes are shown and are they active or stored? Have you checked for power, ground, CAN high, CAN low, and CAN resistance? The gurus with the wiring schematics and knowledge will be along shortly I'm sure.

  2. #2Danfromcomo2026-09-12 18:58

    Here are the active codes. I have receivers for tge left and right top post mounts that are currently unplugged and in the transport case. I will plug them in and restart to see if those codes go to logged. I have only tested for continuity on the wiring harness foing to the blade

  3. #3pittsburgh cat man2026-09-12 19:13

    They were just starting this when I retired but I would be looking into harness in compartment under your screen also it looks like a book in there

  4. #4AMBMike2026-09-12 19:23

    At 7200 hrs on the machine I would suspect the wiring harness running to the blade. A likely spot where I've experienced problems in the past with similar dozers is where the hydraulic lines and electric harness transition from the machine chassis to the C-frame. If they're clamped a little too short there the wires will begin breaking at that flex point. The hydraulic lines are usually the next to go. The wires at this point are usually in a hydraulic hose. They can fail in several ways so just because you have continuity doesn't mean they're good. These systems need, I believe, 2.5-3.5 volts on CAN high and 1.5-2.5 volts on CAN low as well as, I believe, 60 ohms resistance on the CAN BUS. They also require a specific power to ground voltage at the IMU on the blade. This may be system voltage or "computer" voltage, I forget which. As you can tell I'm pretty rusty on this. I would recommend waiting till you get specific info from the above mentioned gurus. You could definitely check for broken or cracking hoses at the point I mentioned while waiting. On another note, do you have the TD510 or TD520 tablet that mounts in the housing under the dash? you will need that to run GPS as I'm sure you're aware. I find it's usually best to test with the complete system in place.

  5. #5Danfromcomo2026-09-12 19:27

    Unfortunately the only book left in that package is for the stereo. The wiring harness is for the GPS display but it was my understanding that slope assist and some grade controll functions could be done without it. When I plugged in the two receivers up top the left and right gps receiver codes went away.

  6. #6Danfromcomo2026-09-12 19:32

    Great info. The wire looked good, no rubbing, nicks or cuts that were visible. I will start checking for the voltages. Unfortunately the tablet did not come with the machine. Its my understanding that some features can be done with out it but of course the 3D features cannot.

  7. #7AMBMike2026-09-12 19:35

    Slope Assist SHOULD work without either the tablet or the GPS receivers installed. I know it works with them installed and turned off. Not sure how Cat has it in the machine electronics. I'm spit-balling here but it may require turning off the Trimble/Cat Grade system in the machine settings? I believe this would take Cat ET. I would focus on finding the blade IMU sensor communication problem first. I find it interesting they sold it with the receivers but without the tablet. It seems logical to have taken all or none...

  8. #8Danfromcomo2026-09-12 20:05

    I bought two MS990 receivers and an older CB430 display to use on a 2007 D5G. The next gen D5 didn't come with any.

  9. #9smifwal2026-09-12 20:41

    I only have 1 tablet for both my machines. Maybe they had the same set up

  10. #10Nige2026-09-13 03:38

    First question do you have the electrical schematic for the machine.? You’re probably going to need it.

  11. #11Nige2026-09-13 07:28

    Sometimes that can steer you wrong. Jumpering one end of a particular wire to machine frame ground then supplying batt+ via a fused 5A test light is a good way of loading a wire that can be hanging on by a thread and is a better test than a pure continuity measurement IMO. You can troubleshoot the Active Codes using the following procedures. Anywhere the procedure states to "check for an open harness" you can use the test light procedure above in addition to simply measuring resistance. I sent you the electrical schematic. Check your message inbox. 1945/1946 - Data link sensor test 4651/5885 - CAN data link test 5805 - Ethernet data link test.