I have a recently purchased d5c. The trans oil looked milky upon purchase. The radiator fluid is perfectly clean no sign of hydraulic fluid in it at all. This led me towards thinking condensation or rain. I drained the trans and refilled it. Ran for about 5 minutes it turned milky again. I am wondering if the oil in the torque converter and lines would be enough to turn new oil milky. Can I use some diesel to purge the system of the milky oil? I am not sure if the trans cooler is separate or in the radiator on this machine. This is a pedal steer machine and it shifts and steers fine. Serial number 5xk01339 cat number 6zl00197 trans number 1dx01836 engine 3406 I am hoping maybe somebody can point me in the right direction. Thank you
I forgot to add that the transmission filter was changed as well. It was clean except for milky oil.
Update discovered there is an internal trans cooler in radiator. Left radiator cap slightly loose to build no pressure, ran about 1.5 hour no water on shutdown in trans oil. Will recheck on startup when cold then put cap on tight to see of it starts leaking internally with more pressure.
Could you disconnect the oil lines to the cooler and cap off one and then apply air pressure to the other with radiator cap off and check and look for air bubbling in the radiator?
That is a good idea Thanks
How much oil does your transmission hold by the service manual and how much did you drain out? Just draining the transmission usually only gets part of the oil out. If you want to check the cooler take lines off and put about 10 psi. on radiator. Bad Bob
If your not losing water out of the radiator that's not where its coming from. Bad Bob
Well one way I have used to determine if it is a coolant leak might not sound good to some but it's the taste test. Touch a little of the white foam to the tip of tongue and if it has a slickly sweet taste it's coolant! Best place to get a sample to test would be underside of filler cap where the beads of condensation form. Just remember antifreeze is poisonous so don't be taking a mouth full and swallow it!