Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5C steering adjustment procedure needed

rockbottom · 2015-06-28 16:03

Have a D5C, have a operators manual but it does not have a procedure for adjusting the steering. I was told to just turn the adjuster nuts under the seat until it take about half of the floor pedal movement. I have to push mine all the way to the follr to get it to turn. Appreciate any advise on how to properly adjust the braking/steering

Replies14
  1. #1Nige2015-06-28 16:50

    Send me a PM with your machine Serial Number and your email address. I can forward you a procedure.

  2. #2rockbottom2015-06-28 16:52

    6ZL00Z59 is the serial number, thanks ahead

  3. #3Nige2015-06-28 16:58

    Need an email address. DON'T post it here - send me a PM.

  4. #4rockbottom2015-06-28 17:45

    I am new to the forum and do not know how to send a PM, sorry. can you help me with the process?

  5. #5Pathull2015-07-02 06:38

    Not sure about the D5C, but general rule of thumb for flat track cat dozers, ( the old ones that is!! ) tighten the adjuster all the way up so it wont go any further, then back the nut off one full turn, or 6 notches (you can feel it click on every side of the adjustment nut/rod) I have never touched a D5C so im not sure about that dozer exactly, so I am not 100% sure. would be worth getting nige to send you through the correct procedure. but if your brake pedal is going to the floor, it might be quite likely you have excessive wear on brake bands, this requires removal of the steering clutches and replacement of brake shoes.

  6. #6Nige2015-07-02 06:45

    Pat, I sent the OP the procedure for adjustment, suggesting he worked through it right from the start for no other reason than you never know what anyone else has played around with previously, especially if control rod length has been changed by someone who didn't know what they were doing.

  7. #7Pathull2015-07-02 06:53

    100% agree, I know I have found over the years that everyone always adjusts the brake bands only, on D7/8/9 tractors, while in the meantime all the other pins and rods between the operator and brake bands are wearing their way out of adjustment, you can really feel the difference in the steering when it has been adjusted correctly the whole way through.

  8. #8Kemo2022-11-05 11:06

    Hey everyone, I have a 2000 D5C Series lll (5HS00476) with a brake issue. They don't work. So the tractor has 3300 hours on it. The adjustment screw on the brake foot is adjusted so that it doesn't meet the stop and there is another adjustment screw just below on the deck that is backed most all the way out. It has a lock nut on the bolt but I don't think it is engaged either. When the parking brake lever is engaged, the tractor will edge forward just slightly if facing downhill. So I suspect there are some adjustment issues going on. I cannot find information online about how to properly adjust this hydrostatic drive brake system. I usually come here last because there are a lot of request so I don't want to be bothersome. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

  9. #9Nige2022-11-05 11:34

    Attached are the specs and adjustment procedure.

  10. #10Kemo2022-11-05 13:32

    Thanks Nige for your quick reply. This information will be extremely helpful!! Have a blessed day!!

  11. #11Kemo2022-11-11 15:19

    Hi everyone. The brake adjustment instructions worked to the "T". Followed them exactly, it was very simple, now I have brakes. Thanks again. I have another question about my Cat D5C series iii (#5HS000476). I'm pulling the radiator/oil cooler because they both have a leak and it got worse. So, question #1: is there a cutoff between the hydraulic reservoir and the cooler? I'm assuming the route goes straight to the cooler from the reservoir. Question #2: I plan on taking the radiator/oil cooler to a local repair shop. Is this advisable vs. replacing the units with new? And I plan on replacing the water pump while I'm in there. Thanks for your help!!

  12. #12DCE Heavy2026-07-17 20:39

    I have a D5C series 3 serial number 9dl00483. Need to adjust the left side steering. It barely grabs at full pull on the lever. The right side works good. But I don’t have the foot pedals I have the pull levers. Not seeing an adjustment for these.

  13. #13Nige2026-07-18 04:52

    So what you are looking for appears to be brake adjustments.? However I would suggest that you go through and check all the steering clutch linkage adjustments first, because if the clutch is not disengaging completely the brakes will not stop the track even if they are adjusted and working correctly. You should bear in mind that steering is a 2-step process. The first movement of the control level disengages the steering clutch. Move the control further and it applies the brake.

  14. #14John C.2026-07-18 12:26

    As I recall the adjuster bolt heads are to the right or left of your knees and straight down. I usually used a long extension with a universal or wobbly socket that was 9/16". They didn't adjust like the big machines by going tight and then backing off a turn to a turn and a half. I ended up just adjusting by feel of the brake pedal. Once you adjusted to where you think it was right you had to start the machine and check the pedal again. When you are through adjusting be careful when taking the socket off the adjuster bolt. The are usually sticky and the socket will either pull off the extension and stay stuck on the bolt head or partially come off the extension and then fall into the nether world under the bolt. I've used magnets and fingers to try to get the sockets back but a couple of times just had to buy replacements knowing that that next guy to pull the pans would get a free socket.