Dozer won't shut off. I took side panel off and shut off manually. Anybody no how to trouble shoot solenoid to see if it that's what it is or something else. Before I start throwing parts at it. Thanks
Depends on the fuel system you have.. what engine? any pics of the fuel system? IF it has an electric shut off solenoid on the pump, remove it and actuate it w/ 12/24volts.. if it works, put it back on and start w/ electrical checks.
Some are energized to run and some are energized to shut off.. IF the rod moves with power in either direction its working..
It is solenoid on back of pump, doesn't move either way when you turn key I will try to get power to it and see if it moves
A S/N for the engine and or Dozer would go a long way to getting the right info. As others have said some energize to run others energize to kill. If I recall some are activated by the small wire, forget the term, that is on the side of some alternators. This works a relay that keeps power going to the "energize to kill" solenoid until alternator output drops off. Like I said a S/N would help a lot! With that I or someone else might be able to send you a wiring diagram and possibly a systems operation paper.
9dl01942 is dozer serial #
There is a black box in the dash that will cause it,we have changed a few of them
I have attached the wiring diagram from SIS. The "little black box" that was mentioned being under the dash would be the shut down timer part number 107-1004. If you look at the schematic sheet # 2 it is located in the upper right corner. It has a plug with 4 wires going to it. Wires should be number as follows: 359 This wire should have power at all times, it comes from a fuse that is fed right off the starter terminal that has the positive battery cable feeding it. 112 This wire comes from the key switch and should be "hot" with key in the on position only. 327 This wire is the one that connects to the shutdown solenoid on fuel pump. 200 This wire is the ground circuit for the system. Should not be too hard to figure out if this relay is working! I'm assuming you will have already checked the solenoid at the pump to see if in fact it is working. Don't forget that a broken wire between the timer and solenoid could also be the problem among other things. View attachment SENR5356 Wiring.pdf
Thanks for info I try check out Sunday if not raining
Forgot to mention to see the schematic just click on the "SENR5356 Wiring.pdf" at the bottom of my post it should open up a PDF file for you. You may have to save it to your computer then open it. Good Luck!
Got it saved and printed copy Thanks
Thanks heavy equipment forum finally got time to check it out and was fuse holder to black box broke. Didn't know about black box until I got information here Thanks
Good news! "Always nice when a plan comes together!"
I know this is an older post but I’m having the same problem on a D5C with serial number 8ZS00190. The shut off solenoid works sporadically. Sometimes you can switch ignition power and hear it click on and off five or six times and then if you start the dozer and go to shut it back off, it won’t shut off and has no power coming to the single wire behind the shut off solenoid. I have cleaned all the grounds and checked most of my connections, but I’m unsure where the wire runs from the solenoid. I did find what looks to be like a relay underneath the dash that does have a wire broke off but I’m unsure of kind of where to go with this.
If you go back to Post #8 by @kshansen there is an electrical schematic attached to it (right at the bottom of the post) that also suits your Serial Number.
I’ll save that! Would happen to know what that two post black box looks like in my picture? Looks to be some type of relay or something. I do know I need to fix it but unsure what that part is called.
That is a 15amp circuit breaker. Cat 3t-2662
That’s what I was kinda thinking but wasn’t 100% sure. Thank you! I did have to replace the 40amp push button breaker cause I was cleaning all connections under the dash and broke the 40amp one. It was an expensive little thing.
How do I shut off manually?
9DL00379 is the SN
The same electrical schematic uploaded by @kshansen in Post #8 will work for your machine. #1 in the illustration below of the fuel injection pump is the shutoff solenoid. There should be a single pink wire connected to the end of it. With the engine running disconnect that wire and apply batt+ (12v) to the terminal on the solenoid. If it is working correctly the engine will shut off.
Nige, is there a better pic of the inj pump.? Unless it’s an electrically governed pump, that shut off solenoid should be attached to the shut off LEVER on the gov. Your explanation of testing, as always is spot on..
I know that, but rather than go for any disasembly, other than removing one wire, I was wanting @TQM to test the operation of the shutoff solenoid by powering it. Kill various birds with one stone so to speak. TBH my money is on the shutdown timer having failed.
yup..
I tried this and it did not work.
Right now I am waiting for it to run out of fuel. The “little black box” did have a broken wire and I will order that part, but I still couldn’t get the engine off.
Is the solenoid plunger attached to a lever on the inj pump.? If yes, just reach around the pump and pull the lever.
In that case completely remove the solenoid assembly and push the stop lever. Does the engine stop then.? By “black box” do you mean the engine shutdown timer #18 located behind the dash panel.?
Engine off ? Anyone with a diesel engine in anything should always have a Co2 fire extinguisher, never know when a runaway will happen, carefully spraying in the intake will shut it off. I suppose even with the air cleaner still connected. Other wise you could have blocked intake air to shut it off or loosen the fuel line. Oh and this is a great reason to have a compression release lever, a great safety device.
The same as in post #14.
The photo in Post #14 looks like a circuit breaker. Please can you post up some photos of your machine showing the front side of whatever that component might be. In fact does it look like this.?
Hello Nige, The "black box" was part number 3T-2662 (15 amp breaker). I replaced it this afternoon, but the engine would not turn over. I have pulled the batteries (been there since 2014) and will replace tomorrow. Then I will try again. The engine did run out of diesel on Saturday evening before I got it turned off.