Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5G Final leaking

@realistic_view ยท 2017-06-11 16:54

I finally got the D5G home from the Cat dealer. I installed the sweeps, bits and cutting edge a couple days ago. I had a new seat pan, screens and a few missing track bolts to install, so I pulled it into my shop. The next day when I pulled the dozer out, there was a puddle of oil right where the right final drive would have been sitting. It was about 4 inches across. Stowers Cat changed the oil in the finals (and cleaned them out with some sort of wash) just before I brought it home on Friday. I'm hoping the housing was just wet from that. I pulled it back in the shop a few minutes ago. I cleaned the whole housing. When I bought the dozer and the 3 weeks it sat in the shop at Stowers, it was dry as a bone all over. No leaks anywhere. No leaks on their floor either. If it is leaking, how tough of a job is it to open it up and replace the seal? Here is a picture of the dozer. I included a copy of the oil report as well. Not sure if it will load. The guy I bought it from had a report done in November. It said to change out the fluid. He never ran the machine anymore after getting the report. So this report and last should be the same. Also, when they changed out the fluid, there was no metal on the magnetic plug. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1Cmark2017-06-11 17:35

    The iron reading on both the final drives is very high. It could be because of impending failure or extended oil change interval. Bearing in mind the oil has now been changed, you should run it for maybe 50 hours and resample. A leaking duo-cone may clear up with running. If it doesn't, the final drives on these machines can be repaired without the special push/pull tooling needed for earlier oval track machines.

  2. #2@realistic_view2017-06-12 14:12

    Still dry. There must have been some oil trapped on the outside somewhere.

  3. #3@realistic_view2017-07-04 11:35

    Update on the final drive leaking. The darn thing only leaks after I have loaded it on the truck to move it. Something about it crawling up a steep angle. I included pics of what I found the next morning after loading it up. It had not leaked a drop sitting for a couple weeks prior to the move.

  4. #4Hodevelopment2026-03-08 01:56

    Did you ever find out the problem?