Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5G Speed Control Issues

tljohnson05 · 2023-08-04 17:46

D5G operates just fine but will go into a limp mode if you will intermittently. The (speed control) is on the left joystick push buttons, and is responsive to command to dash. It only did it once while I was there. This issue is Interment to say the least, as the operator used it for a 2hrs, with 3 occurrences from my knowledge most in forward but once in reverse. Plugged in with ET, no codes and all parameters are all in line and completed the calibration test = All Passed. From what I am told this happens on the daily. the upper joystick and lower pod has been recently replaced. I am going back tomorrow morning to spend more time troubleshooting, just looking for some inside knowledge beforehand. Trying to find the sensor locations, or electrical is a pain to find. So if you have it, please share. Serial # MHK12612 Thanks in Advance,

Replies12
  1. #1Chrisso2023-08-05 02:09

    Do you have ET yourself? Have you performed a data log before? During the derate were you able to see the speed control parameter in the status screen? I'd also like to see what all the engine speed/temp/pressure sensors are doing during the derate. You mentioned no logged/active codes. Any active/logged events? Edit: long shot but I also wonder if hydraulic pump pressure increases, or the engine feels under load (ie boost pressure increases).

  2. #2tljohnson052023-08-05 04:57

    Yes I do, and no on the log as I didn't have the time but I will in a few hrs while onsite. No events either which was really odd too. Once i gain access to soleniods I hope that I have the fittings to run pressure test as well if it comes to it. But the real time log should show where to look furthermore.

  3. #3Nige2023-08-05 05:07

    The S/N you posted above is the engine. With the PIN (Product Identification Number) from the line above the one from the engine on the plate you can have an electrical schematic that might help you. If nothing else it will show sensor, etc, locations.

  4. #4tljohnson052023-08-05 05:13

    That would be awesome. I was hoping when the time zone rolls around, someone would reply. CAT00D5GLWGB02776

  5. #5Cmark2023-08-05 05:33

    I hate to make wild guesses but here goes. In my experience with the small G and K series tractors, speed sensors give trouble more often than most other components. Monitor engine speed and travel motors in ET and watch for glitches. As chrisso implied, try setting up a data log for them to see if it gives you some direction, although you would be very lucky to catch a once-a-day fault. If that doesn't lead anywhere, take them out and give them a clean. If I was forced to shoot it with the parts cannon, speed sensors would be first projectiles I would load up.

  6. #6Nige2023-08-05 05:37

    Keep an eye on your messages. I’ll send you one.

  7. #7Tyler d4c2023-08-05 06:57

    From my experience of a very Simlar issue is that you need some speed sensors. That the Plate off the back of the machine and un plug them if there's oil in the plug they need replace. These sensors have up dated. Even If ther3s no oil in them they can still be bad. The few I've done they where dripping oil out tho. It will need calibration after you replace them

  8. #8tljohnson052023-08-05 09:46

    Thank guys, I will let you know what I find.

  9. #9CM19952023-08-05 10:39

    Probably not it and I am no mechanic but have you checked the system voltage? G series get weird if there is not a consistent 14.4 volts throughout the system. Our 5G would slam on the parking brake going full speed and finally figured out the alternator was going out.

  10. #10tljohnson052023-08-05 18:18

    well turns out the rats built a nest with thorns and sticks, three wires got to be apart of the habitat. Repaired wires, cleared codes in log, calibrated and tested. All issues fixed = I got lucky. Chrisso and CM, the log is where i found the high and low voltage alarms that made me look at Alternator which was steady at 14.4, then removed floor plate to find the nest. Good Times, Nige, thanks again for the PDF that helped alot with electrical focus points.

  11. #11Tyler d4c2023-08-05 19:29

    Them furry wire strippers are a pain arnt they

  12. #12CM19952023-08-05 20:53

    Oh yeah almost forgot - Welcome to the Forums TJ05! Glad to have you!