Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5G Starter Removal tip

TexasD5G ยท 2012-12-18 12:49

Does anyone have a tip or trick on removing that third nut that's hidden from view. It's the one closest to the engine and very little work area much less see. I'd like to get it off with minimal removal of other parts.

Replies5
  1. #1oarwhat2012-12-18 13:09

    I don't know the machine but it usually takes an extension longer than the starter. Run the extension between the block and starter and remove the nut that way. Good luck

  2. #2wosama931b2012-12-18 18:56

    Hi, TexasD5G, I just fixed my starter, and i had a bolt in a spot like that, I got the stubby wrench out, to remove, i could not get a scoket to work. Go stubby!! Also i had a sling around it, small strap, and pulled it out the top. Happy trails, sam. PS, Use a thin wall boxin.

  3. #3Seabass2012-12-22 21:35

    4 way angle wrenches are handy for those jobs as well. x2 on stubbys

  4. #4TexasD5G2013-01-02 13:52

    Finally got the starter off. It was a little tricky. The nut was positioned so that when the 12point stubby locked on it was stuck against the starter (no room to move). I finally pulled a 1/4 thin walled socket (short) with a 1/4 extension, ujoint in between, and then u joint after the extension to get around the frame attachments for the wiring harnesses. Thank you CAT Engeneers (sic)...! Started up like a champ! Thanks for all the replies and help.

  5. #5caterpillarmech2013-01-03 09:56

    Preach on brother! I replaced a starter on a 950k a couple of weeks ago and had to let the air out of the l/r tire so I could get my arm between the axle and frame rail. Three hours to replace a starter is insane!