Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5G track speed sensor

Don k · 2018-05-27 14:43

Today while dozing the speed setting went from the 2 position to one. Using the rocker would not move the setting. I shut down the engine and turned on the key and it would move on the gage but when started up and put into fwd or reverse it would go back to the one position. Checked the codes and 251 came up and 244 as a stored fault came up. The 251 is a L H track speed sensor and the 244 is the parking brake rocker switch. After checking the codes I restarted it and everything worked as it should until I did a hard turn and the speed went back to the one position. Are speed sensors something that are an easy fix or does Cat have to get involved. The parking brake switch seems to be working so I don't know why the fault code. Ad the red light on the instrument panel did not come on. D5G XL WGB0293 Thanks.

Replies36
  1. #1Don k2018-05-27 19:07

    I went out a while ago and started it up. Everything worked as it should though I did not use it for long.

  2. #2CM19952018-05-28 18:37

    Don I've replaced the parking brake switch and both speed sensors on my 2005 D5G XL WGB series. Cat did the speed sensors because the dozer will need to be recalibrated after the sensors are replaced. The park brake switch is cheap ($13) and easy to replace, I would do that one yourself. Cat G series dozers are good machines, they just have finicky electrical systems. The older my 5G gets the more we have to have Cat calibrate it with their laptop.

  3. #3Don k2018-05-28 19:11

    I live about 80 miles from the nearest Cat. dealer. If you don't mind me asking about what was the charge to get the work done from Cat.?

  4. #4CM19952018-05-28 19:21

    I'll have to take a look to be sure, it was over a year ago. I think it was around $1300 for both sensors and calibration but don't hold me to that. The first calibration we had done was around $400 but the dozer was 10 mins away from the dealer. The little dozer ran like a new machine after we had it calibrated the first time.

  5. #5Don k2018-05-29 15:37

    I realize I am a real dummy when it comes to my new to me D5G. Before I had a D7 17A and a JD 450C. I don't want to get Cat involved unless it is necessary. I have ordered a service manual but it won't be here until next week. Today I checked the fault codes. The 2 5 1 came up. I erased it and checked codes again. 2 2 2 came up so there should not be any active faults. I used the dozer for about 30 minutes and the speed went to the one position again and would not move from there. I stopped the dozer and checked codes again. Same thing 2 5 1. I erased it and 2 2 2 came up and the speed control worked again. Do you think this is a bad L H speed sensor or just maybe a bad connection? Like I stated earlier I know squat. I was an airplane mechanic and to me it sounds like a bad connection somewhere. If it was a bad sensor I would think it would be bad all the time. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

  6. #6Nige2018-05-29 16:41

    Maybe start by finding every wiring connector between the LH track speed sensor and the Hydraulic System ECM..? Here's the Electrical Schematic.

  7. #7Don k2018-05-29 17:10

    Thanks Nige.

  8. #8Nige2018-05-29 17:17

    It could be something as simple as a dirty connector somehwere. We swear by Senson Electroguard Grease to keep humidity/condensation/moisture out of electrical connectors on cat equipment. http://www.sensongroup.com/senson-tek/electroguard-grease

  9. #9Don k2018-05-29 19:06

    Thanks Nige. I was an A&P mechanic and flight Engineer on a Boeing 727. About the only real electronics were the avionics. Then you just changed out the box. Other than that when you had a problem it did not start and then go away and then start again. For instance the "speed sensor for the left track". I am not familiar with Cat. sensors. Do sometimes they work and then all of a sudden they don't? And as always I appreciate everyone help. Donald koenig

  10. #10CM19952018-05-29 20:07

    Nige is on board Don your with good hands now. I am a half assed mechanic that's learned most of what I know from the real mechanics on HEF like Nige. I forgot to tell you to check the voltage coming out of the alternator. If a G series doesn't have 14.4 volts screwy things can happen in the electronics. Had an issue once with our D5G where it would be humming along the job site and suddenly slam to a stop. Changed the parking brake first thinking it was the issue and it was a cheap part to throw at it. Well that didn't fix it and turned out the alternator wasn't putting out a consistent 14.4 volts. Replaced alt and has ran like it should since then.

  11. #11Don k2018-05-29 22:01

    Thanks CM1995. They put on a new alternator when I bought the dozer. I will check the voltage tomorrow.

  12. #12Nige2018-05-30 04:25

    Don, here's the procedure to test the alternator output plus a troubleshooting guide for the left track speed sensor. I knew there had to be one, I was simply looking in the wrong place for it .......

  13. #13Don k2018-05-30 07:46

    Thanks Nige. I have to see if I can get a good digital multimeter today. Not a lot of places in this small town. The one I have is an old non digital POS. Thanks for your help and we shall see how it goes. I am not the best with electrical stuff but my old DOM was and he always told me. First look for the obvious. My service manual is coming this next week. Right not I don't even know exactly where the speed sensor is located. Thanks again Nige. My head is pretty far up mine so you will have to remember that when dealing with me.

  14. #14d9gdon2018-05-30 19:57

    Here is what the speed sensor looks like, and I just grabbed it off the internet so it's not Cat. https://www.fridayparts.com/for-caterpillar-cat-speed-sensor-189-5746-1895746 It has been 14 years since I worked on mine, but it's about 3 feet from the outside of the final drive hub as you measure toward the center of the tractor, so kind of under your left butt cheek as you're sitting in the seat but way down there. I think you have to remove the rear belly pan or there might be an inspection plate bolted to the belly pan that you can remove to get to it. Mine only had 500 hours on it or so when it crapped out so it was under warranty but I watched the Cat mechanic change it. You can test them to see if they're good, but he may have been using Cat's ET software when he tested it. They do give trouble just like those parking brake switches that CM mentioned. Neither one is hard to change, but I concur on the calibration after it's changed out. You might be money ahead to haul it to the dealer for calibration.

  15. #15Don k2018-05-30 22:30

    I checked with Holt Cat and it would cost around $700 for them to send a mechanic here. Plus $160 an hour labor.

  16. #16John C.2018-05-31 10:48

    I never seen a field service charge less than $1,000 just for the drive out and back. There will be a misc. hardware charge, environment charge, possible sales taxes and mileage charge on the truck. All that before the wrench opens the truck door to look at the machine. I learned some forty years ago to never believe a Cat dealer's estimate on a repair. It's just another bait and switch scheme.

  17. #17Don k2018-05-31 12:36

    You may be right about the charge. They quoted me. $152 an hour for field service. $80 an hour for travel. $3.25 a mile mileage. I have a AG. exemption so there will be no tax. First I am going to make sure I if I need them or not. Like I stated before this is the first new generation dozer I have owned and i have a lot to learn. I don't understand the necessity of having to get a recalibration if a sensor is changed out. It would seem as if replacing a sensor with a like sensor would not need a recalibration. On a car if you need a new oxygen sensor you just change it. On the Boeing 727 I used to work on if a sensor for something went pit you just replaced it. The only excemption was with the Aux. fuel system. If you changed out a sensor or gauge on it you did a few thing with jumpering connectors and it recalibrated itself. So here Cat has you by the short hairs and you have no choice.

  18. #18Mark2502018-05-31 17:45

    hi, I have changed out the speed sensors and have not run the calibration procedure and the machine has been ok. how ever changing out the solenoids,joystick sensors or ECM the calibration does need to be done. the calibration can only be done with ET here is the location of the sensors

  19. #19Mark2502018-05-31 18:03

    you can access through panel if no ripper or winch or from underneath

  20. #20Don k2018-05-31 18:49

    Thanks Mark. I ran the dozer for about an hour today. Everything worked good. going to have to do some wiggling around on wires and try to see what is going on. I have rippers so I will have to go in from the bottom.

  21. #21d9gdon2018-05-31 20:47

    One neat thing about the G series is the ability to use ET to set the maximum speed of the dozer as well as the speed ratio of forward versus reverse. I think when they came from the factory, the maximum forward speed was 6 mph and reverse was maybe a little faster. The tech can set those maximums to a percentage of that, for instance 80%. That way the new maximum forward speed is 4.8 mph. The tech can also set the forward versus reverse ratio to something different according to user's preference. When new, I think that reverse is about twice as fast as forward (at the same setting on the "gear" gauge on the dash), or a 2 to 1 ratio. You want to back up faster to get another blade full. My preference was to have the ratio at 1:1 because I was using it to push a lot of cedars and I didn't like such a large speed difference between forward and reverse since you go back just a couple of feet and then go forward so much when pushing little cedars. They can set it at different ratios. Just an FYI, those speed sensors don't usually suddenly just crap out forever. They will work sometimes and not other times.

  22. #22Don k2018-06-04 16:28

    I tested the speed sensor as per the book. all values were good. I removed it and cleaned the tip. Erased the fault code and am back to 2 2 2. Will hopefully run it tomorrow and see it the fault reappears.

  23. #23Don k2018-06-05 11:05

    I used it for an hour this morning. After about 45 minutes the speed control was frozen a little under the 2 setting. Could not make it go up or down. Could only adjust speed with throttle. Driving back to the shed the speed control started working again. No red lights on the dash. Checked the fault code at the plug and again "speed sensor left track". I guess get a new speed sensor? Should I get 2 and change them both since the old sensor part number is no longer good? Thanks, Donald

  24. #24Nige2018-06-05 12:20

    I wouldn't consider buying 2 sensors unless I knew for sure that a new sensor would definitely fix this intermittent issue that you are currently experiencing. The only thing that comes to mind is that I've seen all types of sensors that worked fine when the machine was cold and started to break down when it got up to operating temperature, and that seems to be what's happening to you. Cold machine, no problem. When it warms up - problem.

  25. #25Don k2018-06-05 12:30

    The only reason I was considering getting two was because the fact that the old part number and new one are different. Did not know since they have supposedly improved the sensor the values may have changed and both of the same sensors would be needed. And what you said about the temperature of the sensor being the problem could be true. I will have to try it again and see when it happens.

  26. #26Nige2018-06-05 12:44

    What are the old and the new Part Numbers..?

  27. #27Don k2018-06-05 13:56

    The old part number was 183-4584 New 360-0453 I went and ran it for about an hour. Within the first 10 minutes it did the no speed control and lowered the speed. A few minutes later the speed control would work again and I then used it hard pushing up dirt for about 45 minutes and everything worked like it should. No problems of any kind. Very strange. Hard to fix something that is broke and then not broke.

  28. #28Nige2018-06-05 14:08

    Here's the Service Magazine announcing the update. It doesn't say anything specific.

  29. #29Don k2018-06-06 20:00

    So Nige and all others. If you were in my shoes what would be your next step? I did not use it today and will tomorrow to see what happens. A little back round. I am 71 years old. I own some property in Bandera, Tx. I will probably not even put 2000 hours on it the rest of my life. Maybe not even a thousand. I sold a D7 17A Cat and a JD 450C Dozer and an AC grader and got this. I really like the ease of operation it has. What I use it for is clearing Cedar and building small ponds to catch run off water when it sometimes rains. Nothing real hard on a dozer. I take care of my equipment and most of the time they are in a covered shed out of the elements. I don't want to cause anymore problems than I have to by using it the way it is. Sometimes the dozer works as it should and then sometimes it goes into the low speed mode. I just don't want to cause a larger problem than I have by not doing nothing. So what are your thoughts? Thanks.

  30. #30Don k2018-06-21 15:58

    I installed a new Left track speed sensor, a new hyd. oil temp. sender and a new parking brake switch. It now runs and works like new. Even gave it a new paint job and decals. Even looks new now. Thanks for every ones help.

  31. #31Don k2018-06-21 15:59
  32. #322102022-07-29 16:13

    Where is that sensor located I have the same problem thanks

  33. #33Nige2022-07-29 16:44

    See attached. Ref 16 or 16A depending on which side of the machine you want. Page 2. Better still, go back to Post 20 on Page 1 of this thread and check out Mark250's illustrations that expalin it even better. I would suggest doing all the diagnostics (also posted on Page 1) before condemning the sensor as bad.

  34. #34ahart2022-07-29 21:07

    My .02 worth- I’ve changed a lot of these old style sensors to the new ones. Most common failure I see with them is oil intrusion into the sensor and connector causing a fault code for given sensor. I typically recommend replacing both sensors at the same time only because the other one is bound to fail and replacing both will eliminate frustration and that second service call expense when it eventually fails. The service magazine is also worth noting because cat parts will auto update the sensor and not sell you the female deutsch connector and pins you need to put on the pigtail and connect to the machine harness. Which leads to another problem for some- the crimping tool for deutsch pins. At any rate, that’s my experience with these track speed sensors, for what it’s worth.

  35. #35d31roberts2022-12-12 14:47

    Thank you to everyone for this post. Its been helpful.

  36. #36CM19952022-12-12 19:11

    Welcome to the Forums D31R!