Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5H eng light,

Mquinista · 2023-02-01 03:14

Hey gents quick help from experts. Got a D5H 1DD06xxx having some issues, now I realize the eng oil press light is on. With the red warning blinking for periods , not every time. Machine starts cold with light off then after 10 min or less light comes on. Question: where do I tap to ascertain oil press with a gauge? And what’s the min I should read ? If I need to check oil pump, how do I reach it? Can be accessed with engine in machine? Regards.

Replies13
  1. #1ahart2023-02-01 04:10

    I would install the pressure gauge in place of the sending unit. For oil pressure vs engine rpm, see attachment. As for oil pump access, I cannot answer that question.

  2. #2Jelte Steenkamp2023-02-01 14:47

    Hi, I would check for fuel dilution also. According to SIS you can remove bottom guard and oil pan to gain access to oil pump

  3. #3Mquinista2023-02-01 17:14

    Thanks… Checking it out… Any one on the oil pump issue? Causes etc

  4. #4Jelte Steenkamp2023-02-01 18:07

    Oil pump: Crack in suction tube, clogged strainer, sticky relief valve or wear

  5. #5Jelte Steenkamp2023-02-01 18:09

    I would replace oil first if low pressure is confirmed before opening up the engine..

  6. #6Nige2023-02-01 18:25

    I'm with @ahart . Install an external oil pressure gauge in the same place as the sending unit and see what measurement you get before doing anything else.

  7. #7Mquinista2023-02-03 01:44

    Thanks guys. Anyway, it’s a quite odd malfunction, never seen it before. I’ll check out readings, and go from there. Another question CAT’s engines with oil starvation show signs in crank / rod journals first place?

  8. #8Mquinista2023-02-03 15:14

    Hy, Installed gauge and oil press is well within specs. Looks like a faulty sensor. Thanks guys.

  9. #9Nige2023-02-03 15:17

    I suggest not to jump to conclusions. Check the wiring between the sender and the dash panel first before condemning the sender.

  10. #10Mquinista2023-02-04 13:17

    Hum… it might be wiring… but I have plans to test the sensor… Would be nice to know it’s ratings… can u help with that? Thanks

  11. #11Nige2023-02-04 13:38

    It's actually a pressure switch. Status, normally closed. Opens with rising pressure at 9.0 ± 3.0 psi, closes with falling pressure at 5.0 ± 3.0 psi.

  12. #12Mquinista2023-02-04 13:47

    Thanks

  13. #13Jelte Steenkamp2023-02-06 02:35

    Check wiring as well. Loop at sensor and test the Resistance for that circuit at other end. < 1 ohm is good. If you can connect ET to a machine the wiggle test also works.