Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D5H LGP track frame and final drive oil change questions

Dozer_Mark · 2023-06-16 16:29

Hello, Im doing some fluid changes on my 1994 d5h LGP, 1DD06082 and had a couple questions I can't seem to answer in my manual. I have the full shop service manual ($400 on ebay) that came with the maintenance section. The maintenance section describes how to check pivot shaft and recoil spring oil and lists their capacities but doesn't say how to drain for a full fluid change. I bought this tractor from Canada so it had very thin viscosity oils in it. Now it's in California and working 100°+ days during the summer so I'm changing ALL the fluids and my service intervals will start from here. Anyone know how to drain the track frame and pivot shaft areas? There is no reservoir for either on this small of a cat. Also, the maintenance manual shows how to drain and refill the final drives on the outside of the sprocket housing but there appears to be another set of drain and refill plugs on the track frame where the final bolts to the machine. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! This one ^ is obvious and well described in the manual. This one (below) is not described in the manual.

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2023-06-16 16:43

    Recoil spring compartment you will need some sort of a suction pump. It's highly likely that the oil in the compartment right now is whatever SAE30 TO-4 oil it originally left the factory with. It never gets dirty and most people don't bother changing it. If you want to drain the pivot shaft compartment the only way is to remove the cap on the outside of the frame (10 bolts). Take out the plug on top of the track frame to let the air in. TBH for both those compartments ambient temperature makes no difference to the oil you put into them. SAE30 for all climates. Drain & refill the final drives from the outside only.

  2. #2Dozer_Mark2023-06-16 16:58

    Thanks Nige I was hoping you would reply. After posting I found in the service manual info stating that the pivot shaft is sealed from factory so I'll leave that alone. It also makes sense to me that the recoil spring compartment viscosity doesn't really matter. I suppose it could be filled with wd40 and as long as it doesn't leak and go dry, it will be serving it's purpose of stopping corrosion and lubricating the parts that don't have a ton of movement. I'll keep it topped off. As far as the final drive, the inner portion mounting to the frame on my machine is a little wet and that's the main reason I wanted to drain and refill that cavity, just so I know where it stands with oil but you're saying to leave that one alone? Should I check oil level on it at least?

  3. #3Nige2023-06-16 17:26

    You should really pull the plug on top of each track frame (shown in the maintenance manual) to check the pivot bar oil level. There are 2 separate compartments, one each side, and they are not connected. What looks like a plug in the ring of bolts fixing the FD to the machine is actually a bolt & washer #28/36. See the illustration. If you have a leak in that area it is likely the big O-Ring #35 that is installed between the FD and the frame. Check the illustration closely there is a lip seal #2 on the axle shaft so any oil that may be weeping from the area in your photo is transmission oil not final drive oil. You could try removing the bolt #28, clean it with contact cleaner and reinstall it with thread sealer on the threads and pipe sealer on the shank. If that bolt is really where the oil is coming out that might just stop it. There is also a drain pllug directly below the bolt #28 that connects into the rear frame of that tractor. Behind that plug will also be transmission oil.

  4. #4Nige2023-06-16 20:40

    You know looking at your photo again I'm wondering if that dark deposit on the outside of the final drive housing is not small quantities of final drive oil leaking from the face seal #4 in the illustration above and dribbling down the underside of the angled face of the housing.? You might be better giving everything a good cleaning & degreasing and then keep an close eye on things going forward to see exactly where oil stains appear first.

  5. #5nicky 68a2023-06-17 02:12

    I know you probably know this,but your final drive plug and level is actually upside down. It needs a full turn to check the level. Some fir is to be expected on the magnetic plug,so don’t worry