I've got a late 80's D5H we bought for farm use. Last week I hit solid rock and blew a hydraulic hose. Tracked back to the ship and shut down. Repaired hose next day, turn key and nothing. I've checked the batteries, which are only a few months old, check the master switch for continuity, cleaned neutral contact switch. Spoke with service at Cat dealership, tested ignition switch, had 24v on the hot lead, but couldn't get voltage through the switch. Replaced switch at their suggestion. Just installed switch, no crank. 24v on hot lead, until I turn key on, then no voltage anywhere on switch. Any ideas?
Just a wild guess or two as many things not seen from over here, check ground wires and fuses. Could be if there was a big jolt when hitting the rock something shifted and yanked on a cable or jarred a fuse that was a little loose. Not sure but with a full serial number might have a chance of finding a wiring diagram on SIS
Serial # is 1DD00303. That is from dealership we bought it from, I haven't been able to locate a data plate on it. I checked fuse block, only one fuse left in it, and it's good. One of the previous owners appears to have disconnected and disabled anything that was an accessory. Of the 2 resets on the fuse panel, one does stick out a little further than the other, but I can not get it to push in.
Sure sounds like a bad connection, I would check all wiring connections from battery to starter and to ground. Hitting hard enough to blow a hose could easily cause a bad wiring connection.
Lock out switch?